Flashback Seducer

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Flashback Seducer

Postby SmallieSam » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Flashback Seducer

Until I lost the only one I had towards the end of trip, this bass version of the Trout Seducer produced around 50 shoal bass over 2 days one October weekend on the Flint, Upper and Lower. It was working so well that it evoked a "man, you're tearing them up!" from the Shoalieman himself. This latest edition comes with an optional grizzly hackle added beneath the flash overwing.

Recipe
Hook: #2 or #4 Tiemco 8089NP Nickleplated Bass Bug Hook
Thread: Waspi 420 Denier
Eye: Small or Medium painted lead-eye
Tail: Craft Fur and 3 or 4 strands krystal flash on both sides
Body: Medium Pearl Eztaz
Gill: Red Krystal Flash
Wing/Back: Flashbou or Krystal Flash (hackle optional)

Here's the link to the Trout Seducer instructions which are basically the same. The differences are explained there. viewtopic.php?t=3734
Last edited by SmallieSam on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 pm

".......it produced around 50 shoal bass over 2 days this past October on the Flint,......"

That pretty well sums it up in my book -- looks like a winner!
Thanks for sharing,
Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

new fly

Postby crawdadcraig » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:23 pm

I've been tying something similar for years. I use krystal flash instead of mylar because it has more movement in small sizes. Mine are fairly small on size eight and six hooks. I use them for winter hybreds and white bass back up north at the power plant lakes feeding on young of the year shad. I'll attest to its effectiveness. I'll send you a picture 'cause you know I can't post too well.
crawdadcraig
Massive Etowah Striper

Seducer

Postby Dirk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:55 pm

Looks like a Striper Seducer to me. I would love to have a couple of those in about 6" or 7". I like all the flash. Dirk
Dirk
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:30 pm

Very Nice. That all white one looks like a good shad imitation, although I have a strong preference for chartreuse and white as a color combination. Last year I tied up a seducer derivative I called a Flashtail Seducer that did pretty well with the whites and hybrids.Might have to try out these Flashback Seducers, if I can get motivated to sit down at the vise.
Jay
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby SmallieSam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:18 am

If anyone can identify that stainless hook for me, I'd appreciate it and I'll adjust my recipe. I've got some big, long-shank streamer hooks that I plan on tying if I get a chance to get after some pre-spawn shoalies this Spring. Even though, I'm thinking the fatter, shorter body on the 3366 will push water better and may be one of the main qualities that makes it produce. The streamer hook will tend to elongate the body.

I'd love it if anyone would post photos of their version of the Seducer. Seems lots of folks are tying them.

Here's the similar version that Craig ties. Gonna have to give him a Photobucket lesson sometime.

SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Sam,
The hook is probably a Mustad 34007 which is pretty much the equivalent to Mustad 3366 except a heavier wired hook and SS. It's also about 2-3 times the cost. jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby bingo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Good thing about using those stainless hooks is that when you get ready to go to Florida you've already got a bunch of flies that you can toss at reds and sea trout. I always use stainless on clousers and large pimped-out muddlers for this reason.
bingo
Hornyhead

Postby SmallieSam » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:51 am

Jim, these particular hooks have a wire diameter similar to a 3366, so I'm thinking they be nickel instead of SS? I wish they weren't so expensive, but I can't stand that rusty stain on my patterns with white or brightly colored tails.

Bo, doubling as a saltwater pattern is another reason I'm using more SS (or nickel) for a lot of what I tie.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:18 am

Mustad also has a cadmium coated version of same: 3407. Almost as inexpensive as the 3366. That may very well be what you have if it's a Mustad hook. Not sure they hold up anywhere as well as the SS 34007s in the salt. I had a box of them once but never cared much for how they looked and they never seemed very sharp nor held their point. Might haver just been in my mind.
Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Jay » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:37 pm

I bought some of those 3407 hooks and I agree that they aren't very sharp.
Jay
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby Kent » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Personally I prefer the 3407. It is virtually the same hook as the 34007, but (as Jim said) cadmium-coated rather than stainless. I'm looking at both right now, in a 2/0. The size & shape is identical, though my stainless is a bit duller in color - though that may be because my 34007 are several years old as I don't use them unless I run out of 3407's. I go through several boxes of the 3407 in 1/0, 2/0 & 3/0 each year.

I can't really tell a difference in the points, but that's one reason I prefer the 3407. The cadmium version can be sharpened and re-sharpened to a razor-sharp triangular point with a good file. Once the stainless 34007 dulls, it's very hard to put a point back on (as it is with almost any stainless hook). I fish in lots of rocks - sharp out of the box is one thing, but more important is the ability to re-sharpen. When I get done with a 3407, it's near as sharp as a Gamakatsu.

One more possible plus is that it will rust out much quicker than a stainless if you bust off in a fish.
Kent
South Georgia Redbreast

Postby SmallieSam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:14 am

I've come to the understanding that the Wally World tinsel is too stiff for this application. I've gone back to Flashabou as it gives the back more action and a better silhouette when wet.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:46 am

Good tip, Sam.

If you get the time, go back and edit your original post and adjust your writeup to reflect this change.

Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby SmallieSam » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 am

I'm planning on it Jim. New pictures and all. . .
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Fly Fishing Forum