Tying the Hairy Fodder

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Tying the Hairy Fodder

Postby SmallieSam » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 am

HAIRY FODDER
By Crawdad Craig

Materials

Hook
Eagle Claw #410 (freshwater) or 413 (saltwater) size #1/0, #2, #4
Alternate hooks – TMC 5263 or Mustad 9672 3x -long #4 (equivalent to 410 # 2)

Weight
Dumbbell Lead Eyes, Medium #1/0, small #2, x-small #4

Rattle
# 1/0 - 3mm mini pyrex glass rattle (torpedo shaped preferred)
#2 - 3mm micro mini rattle
#4 - no rattle

Tail
# 1/0 - 5 strands Holographic Flashabou or Crystal Flash(each side)
#2 - 3 strands
#4 - 1 strand

Sili-legs
#1/0 - 1 strip of 10 legs, 2 strips of 5 legs each
#2 - 1 strip of 8 legs, 2 strips of 4 legs each
#4 - 1 strip of 4 legs, 2 strips of 2 legs each

Body
#1/0 and #2 - 1 length cross-cut rabbit strip
#4 - 1 length of micro mink zonker strip
UV Polar Chenille (you can skip this chenille if you do not want the extra flash)

Thread
.006 Mono Thread

Instructions

1: Tie dumbbell eye to backside of hook shank at the 60 degree bend.

2: Tie the rattle on backside of hook shank starting just past the hook bend with the tapered edge of the rattle facing the eye of the hook. Cover the entire rattle with thread then “post” it into place.

3: Take 1 full piece of sili-legs and fold it in half length-wise. Cut into 2 equal length pieces. Divided one half into 3 segments, one of 10 legs, 2 of 5 legs each. (as needed per fly size)

4: Using the 10 leg segment, wrap it over the backside of the hook shank starting at the hook point. Making sure that it extends evenly on both sides of the rattle. (It should be about half way around the hook), tie it in. (on the #4 fly cut these legs down to 1 ¾” length first. Since there is no rattle, start the tie in just behind the dumbbell eyes).

5: Fold 5 strands of holographic Flashabou or crystal flash in half behind the dumbbell eyes, wrap them around the dumbbell then tie them down with 5 strands on each SIDE of the rattle. After the fly has been completed, trim them down to ½” longer than the sili-legs.

6: Starting on the top of the rattle at the hook barb (on the flat of the rattle), tie in your cross-cut rabbit strip with the hair facing towards the tail of the fly and the skin side to the hook shank. Make 1 full revolution of the strip and tie off with 2 or 3 wraps of thread. The rabbit strip should be centered on top of the rattle at this point.

7: Tie the two 5 leg segments of sili-legs to the SIDES of the hook starting at the dumbbell eye, ending the wraps just before the start of the rabbit strip. Along the side of the rattle the legs should line up neatly parallel one another, not stacked in a bunch. The rabbit strip should slightly flair these legs out to the sides. (On the #2 fly cut these legs by ¾” before tying them in. On the #4 fly cut these legs down to 1 ½” before tying them in).

8: Make one revolution of the rabbit strip over the sili-legs wedging them against the sides of the hook. Image

Make sure that the sili-legs are even at this point and continue palmering the rabbit strip down the length of the fly.

When you reach the backside of the dumbbell eyes, make one more revolution of the rabbit strip and tie it off. Cut the remaining strip and coat the thread with a touch of super glue. You are done, go fish.

Adding Polar Chenille

8-A: If you want to add more flash to the fly by adding polar chenille between the rabbit strips, skip #8 and continue with 8-A. Make one revolution of the rabbit strip over the sili-legs wedging them against the previous wrap. Tie off with 2 wraps of thread. The rabbit strip again should be centered on top of the rattle. Do not cut the rabbit strip.

9: Directly behind the cross-cut rabbit, tie in the polar chenille. Make sure that the fibers are leaning the direction that you are going to palmer it. Make one wrap of chenille, cup your hand around the fly and stroke and hold the polar chenille towards the tail of the fly. Make several thread wraps to hold it in place and cut off the excess chenille.

10: Directly behind the polar chenille make two wraps of the cross-cut rabbit with each wrap slightly overlapping the previous one. Tie it off centered on top of the fly using only two or three wraps. Do not cut the rabbit strip at this time.

11: Directly behind the cross-cut rabbit strip, tie in the polar chenille making sure that the fibers are leaning in the direction that you intend to palmer it and make one revolution. Again stroke the fibers toward the tail of the fly, trying to keep them evenly distributed around the shank of the hook. Tie it off and cut off the excess.

12: Repeat # 10 and # 11 two more times each.

13: If you are making a solid color rabbit body, make two more revolutions of the cross-cut rabbit and tie it off and cut the excess rabbit strip. For a two-toned body, tie off the rabbit strip and cut the excess. Now tie in a rabbit strip of a different color directly behind the polar chenille and make two revolutions. Tie off behind the dumbbell and trim the excess.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Jay » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks for posting this.
Jay
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby yakfisher » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:14 pm

Thanks crawdadcraig and SmallieSam for the writeup. Great tie and great instructions.
yakfisher
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby GonetoSeed » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks for the Craig and Sam. Very well done.
GonetoSeed
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 pm

All,
I just linked this topic to the GRF River Flies Topic. If you go there, scroll down to the HAIRY FODDER under subsurface flies and click on it, it will bring you to this topic.
Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby braveswin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Craig & Sam - fantastic work with the vise and the camera. I suspect fly-tiers the world around will benefit from that demonstration.

I changed the names to protect the innocent and cleaned up the thread.
braveswin

fodder photos

Postby crawdadcraig » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:34 pm

My dad being a professional photographer would have shot me if he seen me take these photos. I did not use my tripod or side lighting to eliminate shadows. I was in a hurry and unlike myself, I let it be good enough. But it does get the point done. Does anyone have any questions about the tye or are the instructions clear? I can tie this fly in my sleep so any instructions are clear to me.
crawdadcraig
Massive Etowah Striper

Return to Fly Fishing Forum