Deer Hair Diver (Dahlberg Diver)

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Postby nielson » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:59 am

Some initial thoughts:
It's pretty much a small group of folks that bother to tie up and fish deer hair bugs. And there are some very good reasons:

1. They are kind of a pain to tie. In fact, until you get the hang of it, it's pretty doggone frustrating. And even if you figure out how to tie one up that's gonna catch fish, it'll be a miracle if you're able to tie one up that looks as tightly packed and shaped as the one's tied by the commercial tiers.
2. They are a bit more difficult to fish than some of the more standard topwater flies out there. The main reasons: they tend to get a bit waterlogged over time and they are somewhat more wind resistant. You can overcome that with practice. A good technique is to go out in the front lawn, tie on the neighbors cat ( a small poodle makes a pretty good substitute) and practice practice, practice. When you're able to get tabby out 50-60 feet, you should be ready to handle a hair bug.
3. It's a bit heartbreaking to have one break off on you. You get kind of attached to a fly you took hours to put together. Some folks can't handle that kind of a disappointment and believe me, even alcohol won't help.

Basic Recipe
Hook: Any variety of Stinger hooks or Mustad 3366. Sizes 1/0-6
Tail: Your choice. Most of above tied with marabou with some Crystal Flash or Flashabou. Two or three pairs of saddle hackle is also a common practice, as is bucktail, squirrel tail, etc. Many choices - they all work.
Body: Spun or stacked deer hair, trimmed to shape.
Eyes: (Optional) glue on dolls eyes.

Spinning and Stacking These are two distinct techniques.

Spinning is the classic means of creating deer hair bugs. With this technique, a pencil thick bunch of hair is allowed to "spin" around the hook shank. It normally results in a uniform distribution of flared hair around the hook.

In stacking, the hair bunch is held in place on the hook shank and not allowed to spin, only flare. This technique is used to create multi-colored patterns such as different colors, top and bottom. It's also used to add a spot or section of color where you want it. It can be used to add color to an already spun in bunch - just place the new bunch where you want it, take a few wraps, hold it in place and apply pressure to flare the hair.

This is a good technique to use at the back of the diver when you want a collar of deer hair tips to ring the tail. For uniform results, first even the tips with a stacker, and then tie the bunch in using the stacking technique with 2 or 3 separate stacks, sides and top.

Other tips, techniques and thoughts
Last edited by nielson on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby boissage » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:02 pm

Jim; Nice divers. What size hook are you using? I have a couple of flies that I want to post. I didn't tie them, but I think they are worth posting. I figure that I will reverse engineer them at some time in the future. So are you suggesting that each fly have its on topic? David
boissage
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nielson » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:55 am

David,

1. I use stinger hooks for most but sometimes use sz 2 Mustad 3366s.
The size stinger hooks vary depending upon brand. If it's mustad, I use sz six. I also have a bunch of Orvis stinger hooks but they run smaller and I believe they are size 2. Both are of comparable sz but the Mustad is a little thinner wire. I'll check tonight when I get home and let you know for sure the sizes and the model numbers of each.

2. As to organization of this "GRF River Flies" thing. Yes, the direction I've been heading is that each fly be a separate new topic. The idea being that one goes to the "GRF River Flies" topic, the flies are listed as they are now. If someone wants to see the fly, recipe, etc., all they need to do is click on the link and it will bring up the specific fly.
I certainly am open to a better idea though.

3. As I recently mentioned somewhere else, I'm thinking it better that we get away from links to other sites for the fly descriptions. I'm doing this hair diver one now to take the place of the current link to another site for the Dahlberg Diver. I'll probably keep that link somewhere, either at the "GRF River Fies" topic itself or with the this "Deer Hair Diver" topic but it won't be the primary link.

When I finish with this one, I'll attack the others that have links outside GRF.

4. The reason I favor having the primary link be to another GRF topic is that I think we have enough decent tiers here and we should be proud to show what we can do. That doesn't rule out store-bought flies though. If you have store-bought flies that you find effective, we'll want to post them.

5. Another point. I sure would like to keep the fly list to those flies that have "proven" effective on our Georgia rivers. This isn't a place to put up flies that we "think might work" or "killed them in Texas." We need to post those flies somewhere but not here until they are proven to work on our waters by someone from GRF. And I don't think we want trout flies or SW flies UNLESS they are equally effective on warmwater river species.

Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:01 pm

Jim, I expect a small group of guys will do their best to try your patience concerning the trout flies.
Here's what I'd be expecting to hear:

"I slayed the trout in W NC with this particular fly and I am quite sure the shoalies down here won't be able to refuse it".

"My brother-in-law tells me that this particular fly, the one I've posted here and reguarly use on Dicks Creek, worked wonders on S GA creek LM bass back when he was active duty at Moody in the late 1950's".
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby nielson » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:21 pm

You're right. I'll probably have to revert to my autocratic leadership style to keep that kind of foolishness under control. It won't be pretty but it will be effective. Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Fly Fishing Forum