Trout Seducer

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Trout Seducer

Postby SmallieSam » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:39 pm

Trout Seducer

Simply my favorite trout streamer, especially when going for wild trout. I've caught several 20"+ browns and 'bows on this particular pattern over the last 10 years. It's not to be overlooked for smallies or shoalies either. It's original design was taken from a Jim and Kelly Watt pattern and reworked by my good friend and former guide, Chuck Malner. My refinements are that of tying Clouser style so it rides hook point up and the Aberdeen crappie hook. I basically stick with the #2 Aberdeen for all trout. Very simple to tie. The only real trick I use, after I tie in the bead chain and tail, is to tie in the chenille just behind the eyes and back wrap to the tail and then back to the eyes. I do this to give the body more bulk and to create a uniform body. After you tie off the chenille, it's also good to trim it leaving about 2 or 3 extra inches to wrap forward and create a nice, clean head.

Recipe
Hook: #2-#10 straight-eye, long-shank streamer or #1-#2 Mr. Crappie Aberdeen by Eagle Claw
Thread: Brown
Eye: Silver or brass bead chain
Tail: Brown marabou
Body: Gold tinselle chenille
Gill: Red bucktail or crystal flash
Underwing: Pearl crystal flash
Overwing: Olive marabou

Instructions
Wrap the hook shank with thread, wrapping back to the hook eye. Tie in bead chain eye on top of the hook shank. Use the length of the eye itself to measure the distance from the hook eye to where you tie it in. Gives you plenty of room to finish the head without crowding it.

Wrap the thread back to the bend of the hook and tie in a piece of marabou on each side of the hook, slighty towards the top. I like bugger marabou for the trout sizes and blood quill for the Flashbacks or bigger sizes.

Trim the excess marabou and wrap the thread up the shank to the bead chain eye and tie in the tinsel chenille.

Wrap the chenille down to the hook bend and back up to the bead chain eye. Make your wraps a little closer together as you come back up bead chain eye and your Seducer will have nice even, uniform body. Tie off the chenille and trim leaving a 3" tag end to wrap and finish the head.

Tie in 8-10 strands of the red krystal flash on top the hook shank, running straight with the shank. I tie in 4-5 long strands and then fold back and tie in the extra hanging over the hook eye to get the quantity I need. Trim off the excess about half the length of the chenille body.

Tie in 8-10 strands of pearl krystal flash on top of the hook shank behind the bead chain eye. Again, you can cut the strands in half and fold them over and tie them in to get the quantity you need. Trim the excess off 1/4 to 3/8" past the hook bend.

Tie in a single marabou feather over the pearl krystal flash, slightly shorter than the length of the pearl flash. Trim the excess and wrap the thread foward over the bead chain eye. Take the tag end of the chenille and wrap it over a couple of times behind the bead chain eye, then wrap the forward with a figure 8 to cover the post of the bead chain eye and tie it off leaving room to wrap the thread head. Trim the excess chenille and wrap your thread head. I finish by either tying off with a whip finish or with 2 or 3 half hitches and clipping the thread. Coat the thread head with your favorite head cement and you've got it.

The steps for tying the Flashback Seducer is basically the same. The only difference, other than the materials and the hook size, is that you omit the mararbou and add more strands of flash where the pearl crystal flash goes. Here's the link to the pic and recipe. http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/v ... 8783#48783

There's been many variations of this pattern tied that work. Have fun, experiment and let us know how you do.
Last edited by SmallieSam on Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby bucktailfly » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks for the re-post on this Sam. I'm going to do some this winter. :)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work....Thomas Edison
bucktailfly
South Georgia Redbreast

Postby yakfisher » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:53 am

Nice fly Sam.
yakfisher
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby GonetoSeed » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:36 am

I know that Redeyes can't leave it alone. Thanks for posting again. It's the kind of pattern I really like: catches fish & easy to tie.
GonetoSeed
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby kreekn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:48 pm

This has been my go-to pattern since Sam posted it somewhere over 3 years ago.I have caught all types of fish with it from Smokey Mountain trout to the Gulf.Never hit the water without it,and tie it on first. :D
Save gas,fish local.
kreekn
Stumpknocker

Return to Fly Fishing Forum