Rabbit stew

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

Rabbit stew

Postby celticfisherman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Ok... This is what I did.

Quartered the rabbits up with their hindquarters whole and tenderloins cut off the back bone.

Cooked for 6 hours (until they fell off the bone) the quarters of two rabbits in my crock pot on high with the following:

2 cans diced tomatoes
2 large carrots cut into slices and of course skinned
1 red onion
1 bell pepper
1 table spoon garlic
1/2 stick of butter
kosher salt
black pepper
a few red pepper flakes

It wasn't bad but the rabbit still had a rather bland flavor. Any recipes you guys have and don't mind sharing I would really appreciate it or any advice on something I could do to add flavor to the rabbit.
celticfisherman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby waderjon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Question...Did you cook the rabbit by itself for six hours or with all the ingredients ?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby celticfisherman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 pm

with all the ingredients. Just like chili or something.
celticfisherman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby waderjon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Here are a couple of tips that might have added to the flavor some that I use when making a beef or deer stew..

Salt the meat for a few hours prior to cooking..This applies to most any meat I cook even fried chicken or steak or what ever..
The salt soaks into the meat.

Add a Bay leaf or two to the stew itself...Great flavoring for beef or deer.

A dash of vinager and or a dash of hot sauce for a little twang is good.

Other wise sounds like you did just fine...

Another good way to cook wild game such as rabbits or squirl is to fry it like chicken then make a gravy...Place the fried pieces back into the gravy and allow it to simmer a while...This method tenderizes the meat and takes some of the wild taste out..
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby celticfisherman » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 pm

Next time I am frying them or making rabbit and dumplings!

Didn't think to add a bay leaf. I'll try that next time.
celticfisherman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby waderjon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Rabbit and Dumplings...Now ya talkin :D
That sounds gooooood :D
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Blackwater » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:36 am

Call Jimmy Baker's wife. She knows how to cook rabbit better than anybody. The Baker boys, Wade & Jeff, are notorious rabbit killers. We take them with us when we want to score a big kill.They will take all the rabbits you will let them have out of what's killed. You have to watch them close or they will take more than their share, especially Wade. They clean them and their mama cooks them. They said she puts them in a roaster pan covered with apple cider vinegar and seasonings then cooks them in the oven with a piece of foil over it till the vinegar is mostly evaporated, then the rabbit is served with various vegetables and home made biscuits, followed by pie & coffee.

I hunted once with a gentleman who had a similar recipe. He put his rabbit in pot, (not cast iron I can tell you that cause I tried it and the rabbit tasted like rust) then covered it with apple cider vinegar after seasoning it well. Then he said he cooked it uncovered till the vinegar reduced to where there was just a little liquid in the pot. At this point he said he put a led on it. I think he meant a lid but he pronounced it led, and let the rabbit simmer on very low heat with the led on until it was falling apart tender with a reasonable amount of gravy in the pan. At this point he ate the rabbit with whatever sides he favored and some bicuits.

My understanding is that the apple cider vinegar breaks down the protein in the rabbit meat which is near 100% protein. In other words the process of reducing the vinegar breaks down the protein thus rendering the rabbit tender and tasty at the same time.

You may want to put some carrots, potatoes and onions in around the rabbit to help with creating the gravy. Add the potatoes near the end of the cooking cycle to keep them from turning to mush.

I take Billy Carter a rabbit every now & then. He lives at the corner of Atha Circle and Highway 81. Billy cleans the rabbit and his wife cooks it. He says it is the best dish she makes. I imagine you could call her and she would give you the recipe. Look up Billy Carter in the Loganville phone book. He's the one that used to be on the school board. I imagine you will get a recipe similar to Mrs. Bakers. They are kin I think. If you know Ken at Walton Tire, well he married Billy's daughter and built a house on some property Billy had close behind his house. Go by Walton Tire and ask for Ken. He can probably tell you how his mother in law cooks that rabbit for Billy.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby celticfisherman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:50 am

I've got a similar recipe from a old lady who cooked for a plantation I went to one time. She cooked the rabbits in vinegar too w/ vegetables and etc. I've just been kind of worried about cooking with that much vinegar. But next time I am going to try it.
celticfisherman
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!