Flopper Popper

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Flopper Popper

Postby nielson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:35 pm

Meet the outrageous
FLOPPER POPPER

Got to be a joke you're thinking, right?
Well fellas think again - this thing catches black bass. My pal Bill and I have been using these things on ponds and rivers for smallmouth, largemouth, redeyes, spotted and shoal bass for the past few years. Despite its rediculously simple appearance, this thing is responsible for probably a thousand bass between us.

Basic recipe:
Mustad 3366 sz 2 or 4
Oblong piece of closed cell foam cut from a flip flop shower shoe
Rubber legs

Construction tips (Can't really call it tying):

1. Cut oblong strips, about 1/4" wide) crossways from shower shoe. Then split strips down the middle to get strips about 1/4" wide. This can all be eyeballed and done with a ruler and sharp pocket knife. Don't worry about the opposing sides being parallel - kinda close is good enough. (Note: FP shown in photo above was tied by my pal Bill and it looks like he used his teeth to chew off the strip. Either that, or it's one that's been chewed on by a few smallmouth.)
2. Cut a chunk from the strip for the body. Make an angle cut to make a front face that will make some noise.
3. Cut a slit lengthwise down the body and superglue the body to the hook.
4. Put the hook and body in the vise and make the front or rear wraps with tying thread and secure with whip finish, half-hitches, etc. I personally don't bother with a finishing knot - I use a dab of super glue.
5. Make the other end wrap.
6. Make the center wrap, tie in the legs on each side and put in your finishing knot (or glue).
7. Done, go fish the thing.

Variations and other thoughts:
1. Plenty of different colored flip flops and leg material out there.
2. Yellow body is pretty good looking.
3. For darker bodies, you might want to tie in a piece of bright 2mm sheet foam, on top of body at front wrap to help you see it in the water.
4. Glue on some doll eyes.
5. Add sets of legs at front or back wraps (or both).
6. Tie on a longer shank hook with a longer body.
7. Extend the body well past the hook bend and segment it.
8. Tie in wings on top or sides or both.
9. Tie in various sizes, big and small.
10. If you have a bunch of bodies already cut and glued on hooks, it takes only a couple minutes to tie one up.
11. Change the face angle to make it a slider or diver.
12. Don't get hung up on hook type. We use Mustad 3366 because they are very inexpensive and stout but any hook ought to do.
12. These things were inspired mostly by the Chernobyl Ant and Club Sandwich with the idea to make it simpler but equally effective pattern for bass.

Your pal, Jim
Last edited by nielson on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 am, edited 13 times in total.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Reelin'Rick » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:31 pm

Is that a french fry?What size line does it take to land a Canadian Goose on the fry fly :lol: :lol: JK Hope you catch a bunch with that one.
Reelin'Rick
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:48 pm

See fellas, that's a typical response. The fly gets absolutely no respect. Probably the reason why it's fished only by my pal Bill and me.

Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby boissage » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:18 pm

I'm surprised that Bill admits to fishing that thing.
boissage
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby SmallieSam » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:36 pm

Excellent Jim. Thanks posting that one. Simple is great in my book. How about some ideas on how to work it best?
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Trotline » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:52 pm

That thing looks a lot like a catalpa worm, and there are catalpa trees all along the larger, more open rivers in middle and south GA.
Trotline
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Return to Fly Fishing Forum