GRF River Flies

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Postby GonetoSeed » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:53 pm

What if you opened the site to which you want to link, put your cursor on the url address in the Address Box in the browser, right click, click copy. Then paste it into the space in bingo's instructions.
GonetoSeed
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby yakfisher » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:54 pm

Jim, I have a lot of fly links at home. I will see what I got when I get home from work.
yakfisher
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby bingo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:06 pm

here's how to do the click here "thingy"

like this:

This is what it ends up looking like:

biggie smallie
bingo
Hornyhead

Postby nielson » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:16 pm

Thanks, got it, I did one last night. However, it was a little bulky for me because I'm such a slow typist. I was hoping I would be able to just click on some button, it would print the format and then all I'd have to do is paste in the address and type in the short name somewhere.

It should be quite evident by this post that my PC skills aren't very impressive. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby SmallieSam » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:57 am

Will do Jim. I'm actually going to take a new photo and post it. Just for future reference, I use the actual spelling of "seducer" so it won't get confused with the other.

The FTF site is broad and a bit difficult to find things on. I think your on track with it being more like the SE Flyfishing archive. I understand that's somewhere down the road, but I think it's a good example. If we ever get DSL where I live, I'll be happy to help you get it looking like that.

Good advice Bingo. The photo of that smallie's got me Jonesin'.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 am

Thanks, Sam, I'll fix it. And when you post the new photo & recipe I'll update what we have. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

RLD

Postby Kent » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:04 pm

Jim, that link to the RLD you have used is actually a version of the fly that Steve Davenport ties. No offense to Steve (a terrific tyer) and I'm sure it works fine, but it is not the original RLD as tied by Carter and used by dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of us. Here is a more accurate version for the RLD. I'm a stickler only because the original has caught thousands (yes!) of fish for me.
Last edited by Kent on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kent
South Georgia Redbreast

Postby nielson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Thanks, Kent. I'll make the change or at least give it a good try. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:45 pm

Kent and others. I've got this all jacked up. I've got the stealth bomber and the RLD mixed up and now named incorrectly. Give me a little time and I'll try to get it unscrewed. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Fly Writeups
Fellas,
I know you're all out there putting the finishing touches on your writeups and that's great! However, let me remind you that this is to be a "work in progress" so go ahead and post what you've got. You've got the rest of your life to get it dialed in to where you like it.

Your pal, Jim

PS: And don't forget to post your November fish for the contest. I know that 13"er currently posted is pretty darn intimidating but I bet someone will knock it off before the end of the month - Tight lines!
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby sparkleminnow » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:43 pm

OK, I have to have 2 posts before I can post a link. Wooopie! This is post #2...
sparkleminnow
Turtle on a Log

Postby sparkleminnow » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:43 pm

I might have a few of these done up for a lucky few to try next spring. However, Crawdad craig gets dibs on the first dozen. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=13539&hl=coffey+grinder
These work great on smallies & largemouth. I would guess they work great on shoalies. And, I will be making some in a size larger for Wipers this spring. BTW, they are very castable with a 6 wt.
A LOT of work goes into making these, so they won't be $1 each, that's for sure. And, I will only make the baby bass pattern upon request, AND then they will be $10/ea. Too much work involved.
sparkleminnow
Turtle on a Log

Postby nielson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:24 pm

Sparkleminnow, that's a beauty! Have some photos of the some of your others? Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby sparkleminnow » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't ususally bother with things like photo bucket, just to upload a single photo. I can just tell you that what you would be looking at is the same thing as the previous posts' pic of the baby bass pattern, but in solid colors. After all, the fish are looking up at a topwater fly, and only see the belly anyway. I can make them in black, white, yellow, and chartruse.
All white is my favorite, but I have good luck with black, and some guys prefer chartreuse, or yellow.
sparkleminnow
Turtle on a Log

Postby srichens » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:37 pm

here's a question...

I've been river fishing for smallmouth for years -- moved to GA recently and am just getting started down here.

I've seen a lot on this board about the stealth bomber. I picked up a few the other day and did quite well with it.

I caught just about all of my fish letting it float with a dead drift...do you guys do that or do you also work it like a popper?

I didn't like the way it looked when I tried to "pop" it -- but I notice the fly does have a lip -- any advice on retrieval on that fly?

Thanks!
srichens
Pollywog

PreviousNext

Return to Fly Fishing Forum