GRF River Flies

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

GRF River Flies

Postby nielson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:15 am

GRF RIVER FLIES
This provides information about many of the flies we fish. It is in no means all inclusive and should be considered a work in progress. The intent is to provide one location where someone new to fly fishing Georgia's warmwater flows can learn which flies have proven effective on our waters.

For most of the flies you will find a photo and materials list. Some patterns will also provide tying instructions and additional notes about fishing methods, variations on patterns and other useful information.

Detailed information about each fly, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the fly photo or other highlighted areas.

BASIC RIVER BASS FLIES You can do just fine if all you have are a few of these in your box in sizes 2-6:

Standard Popper

Kent's Stealth Bomber

Clouser Minnow

Woolly Bugger

In addition to the above, here are some other proven river flies:

TOP WATER FLIES

Hopper Flies & the "Dennis Hopper"

Flopper Popper

Deer Hair Diver(Dalhlberg Diver)

Foam Diver

Gartside Gurgler

PENDING WRITEUP:
Madam X
Blockhead
Club Sandwich
Sneaky Pete

SUBSURFACE FLIES

SmallieSam's Trout Seducer (Yes, but in bigger sizes for bass!)

Dan's Flashbelly

Hairy Fodder

Lefty's Deceiver

Flashback Seducer

Carter's Rubber Legged Dragon (RLD)

Jay's Bluegill

PENDING WRITEUP:
Muddler Minnow
Whistler
Rolex
Murray's Strymph
Murray's Hellgrammite
Seaducer
Bunny Flies (of some sort)
Half and Half

MISCELLANEOUS FLIES These flies are for either certain species or for some other reason categorized here.

Croaker's Shad Fly
Last edited by nielson on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:32 am, edited 98 times in total.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby bingo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:20 am

Great list.

The only thing I would modify is that I am not a fan of cork poppers. Foam is much easier to cast in bulkier sizes and is far more durable. Heck of a lot easier to manufacture too.
bingo
Hornyhead

Postby nielson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am

Bingo and others interested, this is just a TEST.

1. All I'm trying to do here is figure out how to get this organized and a way to provide a link to the flies. This is in no way a refined or accurate list.
2. I can get the links here but I'd sure like to get rid of the full link address and have only a "Click Here" note that would take you to the photo and recipe. Can someone tell me how to do it?
3. I was able to figure out how to get links from within GRF and from out of GRF.
4. Probably a lot other neat things to make this a lot more helpful but I'm pretty much technically challenged at this point.
4. My concept remains to keep this topic as clean as possible and the details at the links.
5. Help!
Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby bingo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey Jim, Sorry bout that.

I just tried to use the html code that allows you to shorten links to stuff like "click here" and it looks like you have to have administrator access to use html code here. Maybe Sam could set you up as a Moderator or get one of the moderators to do it for you.
bingo
Hornyhead

Postby nielson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 pm

This is good news, thanks. I'll see if I can get you moderator privileges. And maybe next year we can get a constitutional ammendment through and make it a "Right." Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby flyg » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:19 pm

Dang it, I wish it weren't a test, cause I really want to see the "Jay's bluegill". I wasn't able to google it up. I'll wait patiently, I suppose.

G
flyg
Guthooked

Postby AthensDog » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:15 pm

Flyg - I think they are referring to these. He posted them in another thread.

AthensDog
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:31 pm

Jnielson,
Nice work putting together the test. Your work is highly appreciated. Only problem I see is that you are causing irreparable damage to any kind of deadbeat status that you may aspire to. Remenber, You are a fisherman, and that means you are by nature opposed to work. I know I am. I can"t wait to see what a "Club Sandwich" looks like. Also, is a doped up "Muddler Minnow" the same as a muddled minnow?
Jay
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby Kent » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:12 pm

stealth

HTML won't work, but bulletin board code does, I think
Kent
South Georgia Redbreast

Postby croaker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Here's one fer the subsurface flies. Be advised that in addtion to Shad it has caught Jack, Redbreast, LM Bass and stocked cold slimies.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/100573.JPG
"Good company in a journey makes the way to seem the shorter" (Old Italian sayin')
croaker
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby GonetoSeed » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:45 pm

This is getting to be very cool. Thanks.

To answer Jay's concerns I think that your prior history will keep you in good "deadbeat status". Just your drive-by one line posts that force the other guy to do all the research necessary for a multiparagraph "white paper" rebuttal will keep you in good standing for a long time (citation: the Sprewell Bluff Thread)
GonetoSeed
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby bingo » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:46 pm

testing...

click here. or here. What ever you do don't click here.

schweet. thanks Kent!
bingo
Hornyhead

Postby nielson » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Gentlemen, I'm really struggling here and need some help.

For many of the flies I've listed above, I can't seem to find a good link that shows the fly and it's recipe. What I propose is that some of you folks post a fly on this forum. Format should be in this order:
1. Name of fly (Use large font if possible)
2. Photo.
3. Materials list.
4. Anything else you have to add such as instructions, how to fish, typical sizes etc. (this item 4 is optional).

Right now there are some good flies and info posted within topics. The problem is they are not the first post and I can't figure out how to isolate the individual post. That's why I'm asking for the above.

OR:

Post a link to the pattern if you can find one. Kind of what I've done to some above.

As I was searcing for links I bumped in to the Fly Archives at

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com ... php?t=5139

Have a look yourself. Compared to what they've got going, I'm just rubbing two wet sticks together. They have a pretty classy operation. And although they've got a spiffy site, I'm partial to ours with our warmwater focus. Ours could look as neat but it's going to take someone with greater talent than I'm able to muster.

As to the abbreviated link business. Thanks for the tips Kent. I'll see if I can figure this out.

Keep the ideas coming folks and the offer remains for one of you to take the reins.

Thanks, Jim
Last edited by nielson on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby SmallieSam » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 pm

Jim thanks for your work. Great idea and I think you're heading in the right direction.

Have you searched Flytyingforum.com's database and virtual fly tying classes for your missing patterns? Here's the link. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? I'll be happy to help when I get more time, but here's a link for the Blockhead http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8820&hl=Blockhead.
SmallieSam
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:22 pm

Sam,
1.Yes, I've been there but have had a hell of a time trying to get something useful out of it: photo + recipe + instructions.
2. That's not a bad blockhead but not the one I was thinking about. The one Bingo has in his test, couple posts above, is the one.
3. Please make a new Topic posting your Trout Seaducer so I can link to it. And if you would, make the picture smaller, maybe 3"X4", so we don't have to scroll to see the whole fly. Add the recipe and anything else you'd like to add.

Bingo:
1. See if you can add a name to that blockhead and at least a recipe and turn it in to a blockhead Topic. I can then link to the topic.
2. Share with me how you made the "click Here" thingy." Be very descriptive.

Jay: If you would, please do the same for your Jay's Bluegill.

The rest of you guys:
1. Pick a fly and do the same. There is no reason why we can't have multiple links to various different versions of a fly. This is particularly true of WBs.
2. If you want, put multiple pictures of the same pattern showing the different variations. Or a group of flies in one picture.

Thanks, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Next

Return to Fly Fishing Forum