Shoal Bass on the Fly

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Shoal Bass on the Fly

Postby keeper27 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:10 pm

New to the board! I've been fly fishing for the last, oh say, 15 years of my life. Freshwater streams and rivers are where it's at, whether you are pursuing wild trout, any of our beautiful river basses, stripes, etc. I hit Sprewell Bluff today, and zeroed out. Now, in all honesty, I don't fish down there that often. I grew up fishing the Hooch, and although the Flint was only an hour away (I know what was I thinking?!?!?), I just never really got around to fishing it. The few previous times I have fished it, I've done ok, catching a few 12-14 inch shoalies. I never slayed them, but I did at least catch a few. Most of the time this was during the early summer, catching them on either wooly buggers or small poppers. Today I swung and stripped two streamers through several likely looking runs, and NOTHING. I did this for 2-3 hours, and then called it quits. Any thoughts? The water a bit on the turbid side today. Wish one of the USGS gages on the Flint had a turbidity meter, that would really help!

Fyi: I wish I had joined this board earlier, as I'm about to be moving out of state to Mississippi to begin a doctoral program. I'll mostly be targeting redfish down there :D. And hopefully I'll find a few pretty rivers to fish for spots and largemouth as well...

Tight Lines,

Joshua
keeper27
Pollywog

Re: Shoal Bass on the Fly

Postby nielson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:37 am

Some times it's just tough and yesterday we were still seeing the effects of that cold front with the high pressure and bluebird skies. I wasn't on a river yesterday but hit 3 different ponds at Charlie Elliot WMA and never got a bite. Only thing keeping it from being too depressing was that everyone else I met down there got skunked as well. Helped also that we left and hit another pond late in the afternoon in Athens and the bass were pretty active -- hitting poppers to boot.

Saturday was pretty tough too but I did manage a handful of SBs at Julliette, all of them on Clousers. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby keeper27 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah, I assumed the cold front would have an impact on the fishing. But it was just one of those days where I thought, 'it's a beautiful spring day, and I need to get out and go fishing". I might head down there again next weekend, and hopefully it will be different, assuming the rain this week doesn't ruin everything.
keeper27
Pollywog

Postby boissage » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:56 pm

I was at Sprewell Bluff Saturday. The water was up and visibility was down. I'm sure today was only slightly better. If you are stripping and swinging a streamer like you would on a trout stream, then you are using the wrong tactic for this time of year and today's water conditions.

I toss the fly upstream, and then strip it in just slightly faster than the current. It should be "ticking" the bottom. You may have to put on a sinker to get it down with the higher water levels.
boissage
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nielson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:26 am

" ..... you are using the wrong tactic for this time of year and today's water conditions.

I toss the fly upstream, and then strip it in just slightly faster than the current. It should be "ticking" the bottom. You may have to put on a sinker to get it down with the higher water levels. "

Good advice - took all mine doing that Saturday. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:06 pm

I'll concur strongly with what Boissage says above and Nielson seconded : "...It should be "ticking" the bottom..."
Oftentimes, a fly bouncing off the bottom greatly out fishes one that is too high in the water column. I once fly fished the lower Flint with a couple of other guys and my fly wasn't bouncing off the bottom and they were catching 2 fish to my 1.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Return to Fly Fishing Forum