Trip Report for 05 OCT 2014

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Trip Report for 05 OCT 2014

Postby shoalieman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Hit the UF with a Hairy Fodder (HF) this afternoon and picked up 6 SB and 1 spot. My actual fishing time was only about 3 hours. I only threw the HF even though I believe a top water popper would've tricked at least 1 or 2 hungry river bass. None of the SB were over 15", but still got a nice fight on the long rod---very, very enjoyable indeed.
Wow was it beautiful. There were squadrons of dragonflies maneuvering around against the backdrop of a completely blue and sunny sky. I hope they were eating skeeters, but whatever they were doing they were doing it wholeheartedly. God is the greatest artist and you can see His subtle signature in all His creation.
I hope He sends His Son back soon, but until He does a day on the UF is still pretty nice while I await future glory.
To those who are waiting to go fly fishing for SB. Stop waiting! Go long roddin' right now. The bite is good and the river is beautiful.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Re: Trip Report for 05 OCT 2014

Postby Blackwater » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:29 pm

4-6 weeks and I'll be out there with you. Had back surgery Monday. Good report!

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Riverpirate » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:50 am

I plan to be there this weekend.
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby jkevino » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:17 am

Shoalieman- it was a pleasure to meet you, sir. Thanks for the advice on the Harry Fodder. I searched and found info for tying but didn't get to tie any before my trip last week. I plan to have some on hand for the next trip, though.
jkevino
Pollywog

Postby shoalieman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:25 pm

Likewise Jkevino---I enjoyed chatting with you on the Upper Flint and was glad to see you using the long rod!!!
I hope to see more of your posts here in the future---take care.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman

Postby shoalieman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Oh yeah, Crawdad Craig says Rainy's sells the Hairy Fodders if you don't feel like tying them yourself.
shoalieman

Return to Fly Fishing Forum