tying materials

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

tying materials

Postby howl » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:47 am

What parts of common game animals are most prized for tying flies?
howl
Fried Jack Fish

Re: tying materials

Postby nielson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:05 am

The answer is relative. With the exception of rooster saddle and neck hackle, almost all other natural materials are relatively inexpensive to buy from a supplier. Even more so if you factor in the time and effort required to make the materials suitable for tying if you gather them yourself. Personally, I don't hunt nor am I a road kill scavenger but I have friends who hunt and over the years they've provided me: turkey tail and wing feathers, wood duck flank feathers, and red squirrel tails.

Deer belly hair would be great for tying (spinning) deer hair bugs but it too is inexpensive to purchase. Furthermore, most southern deer do not have the quality of hair as you find up north. That said, a tail from a southern deer would probably be fine for tails/wings on bucktail streamers.

Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Re: tying materials

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:31 am

Jim

I have used local deer tail hair to tie new streamers on the rear hook of Pop'R lures and it works fine for that.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Fly Fishing Forum