The Fight on the Fly Rod

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

The Fight on the Fly Rod

Postby shoalieman » Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

I spent the front part of the outing spin fishing, but eventually broke out the long rod in the late afternoon............
Wow, it had been quite some time since I tussled with a decent fish on the fly. In fact, all types of fishing trips have been few and far between so far in 2014. However, I was able to catch about a 2 1/4 lb shoalie on 09 MAY 14. The fish hammered a Hairy Fodder and the fight was simply enjoyable to say the least. I also caught a dink shoalie about 10 mins after the decent one hit. But, then the river started rising...................and I didn't realize it at first................. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I almost did not make it back to my canoe in time! The rising water was about 30 or 40 seconds away from disloding my canoe from the rock ledge it was "beached" on when I was barely able to grab hold of it. The whole time I was scrambling toward my vessel I kept thinking "If it breaks completely free, I know I can't swim fast enough to catch my Old Town in that current"
Well, that quickly ended the fishing and wading. But, we had gotten a decent day in. :D
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Re: The Fight on the Fly Rod

Postby Riverpirate » Tue May 20, 2014 1:51 pm

I never beach a canoe or kayak anymore. I use a long teacher and just pull it around behind me.
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Rockworm1 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:48 pm

hey pirate , is that a young or old teacher? :D :D
Rockworm1
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nathanmathis » Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 am

Nice, glad you got a good one on the Fly. I still plan to do a trip one day soon and only take the fly rod. Every time I take the fly rod, I never use it that much because I have spin gear too, so I figure if I only take the long rod I'll have no choice.

I agree with the pirate as well, I use a long teacher, haha.

You can see it in the pic... works well, like a having a trailer with all your stuff right behind you. I just use a carabiner to hook onto my belt.
“They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do” - Oscar Gamble
nathanmathis
Angler of the Year 2015-2016

Postby nielson » Wed May 21, 2014 7:58 am

"...... Every time I take the fly rod, I never use it that much because I have spin gear too, so I figure if I only take the long rod I'll have no choice."

That's the ticket! Better yet, do that for the next 3 months and then you'll never go back to the hardware. YPJ
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Riverpirate » Wed May 21, 2014 10:16 am

Rockworm1 wrote:hey pirate , is that a young or old teacher? :D :D

Lol this smart phone is not as smart as it thinks it is.

"Tether"
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Wed May 21, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah, most of the time I tie the canoe to me. However, occasionally I "beach" it. What made the outing even more colorful was that I blew out one of my wading shoes about an hour or so before I "beached" the canoe. So, I was wading with one foot only covered by a sock. Not smart I know, but at least it was a thick wool sock. However, that made it even more difficult to get back to my ride before it floated away. I would never encourage anyone to wade with only a sock due to sharp objects on the riverbottom, but the water was crystal clear and I was simply tired of being confined to the canoe-legs starting to cramp up, etc.
In all seriousness guys, fighting river bass on spin gear cannot hold a candle to the fight on the fly. Two pounders are boring on most spin gear, but 2 pounders on the long rod are fun as caqn be to tussle with. Of course, light lines and very light spin gear can be fun too.
Although it works wonders for the occasional hawg near a blowdown, fishing 50 or 100 lb braid on a swordfish rod ain't a whole lot of fun for fighting 2 and 3 lb river bass. It's so boring and unchallenging that it almost makes me not even want to bother with the effort of going fishing.
Anybody for going rabbit hunting with an elephant gun?
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman

Postby Riverpirate » Wed May 21, 2014 4:28 pm

I am with you on that. The fly rod has certainly spoiled me.
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, there's a time & place for heavy line and it's fun hawg hunting in blowdowns from time to time. Key phrase is: "from time to time"
shoalieman

Postby shoalwalker » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:38 pm

I fished nothing but bamboo for shoalies in 2014. All but one trip was with bamboo fly rods. One trip was with a bamboo spinning rod.

Let's say that I learned a lot in 2014 but, it was the first year in many years that I did not catch a single five pounder. Lost a couple that I couldn't "finesse" out of the rocks.

Just got a 9wt bamboo rod that I should be able to fish with more confidence on this year.
shoalwalker
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby shoalieman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Darn it, it's time to go fly fishing!!! It's been way too long...............
shoalieman

Postby nielson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:03 pm

I know what you mean so I tried to do something about it yesterday. Stomped around Juliette for a few hours late yesterday morning tossing Clousers. Water was only stained a bit and level excellent, light drizzle, and 60F weather. Had the whole place to myself. Only problem was I never got a bite. Nevertheless, good to get out on the water.
YPJ
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:52 am

Jim, I got skunked on my buddy's 24 acre lake SUN evening.
shoalieman

Return to Fly Fishing Forum