Quick access for trout on drive to Knoxville, TN

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Quick access for trout on drive to Knoxville, TN

Postby orey10m » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Hello all,
I was wanting to gather the input from you all on if there are any quick stopoff points where I could wet a fly on my drive this week to Knoxville, TN from Atlanta. I will be trying to do some research on my own of the streams in the North GA area but I'm not all that familiar with them and I don't have much time to put into this. That's why I wanted to see if anyone could narrow it down for me. Other issue is, I've got my license for Georgia, but not for Tennessee, so I'd have to find something within the Georgia line. I won't be stopping off long enough for it to be worth buying a TN license. Thanks! you can PM me if preferred
orey10m
Dink

Re: Quick access for trout on drive to Knoxville, TN

Postby Blackwater » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Might help to say which way you are going, people go up 411, I 75, through the mountains on 62 or 76, and then 441 is a popular route. Omly places I know are on 441 in NC, but if you take 62 up through the CNF there is a number of places to wet a fly but it makes a long trip.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby orey10m » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Yep, I would like to try and go up 75 through Ringgold and find somewhere near there, because that route is faster overall.

But I wouldn't be opposed to going through Jasper/Ellijay via Hwy 5 because that would put me near the Blue Ridge area and in Gilmer county which I'm somewhat familiar with. Also I'm leaving from Atlanta, not Athens.

Thanks
orey10m
Dink

Postby Blackwater » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Maybe some of the other people will chime in but I have only fished in Rock Creek and Rock Creek Lake which is south of Blue Ridge and north of Eliijay near the head of the Appalachin Trail, northest of there actually. There is a DNR fish hatchery there and the lake an dthe creek stays stocked pretty well with rainbows. Good luck.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby orey10m » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:44 pm

I definitely looked at Rock Creek areas as a potential spot too. Is the lake easily fishable from the shore? And what about the creeks? I have sandals but no waders with me or anything.

Thanks
orey10m
Dink

Postby Blackwater » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:49 pm

You can catch trout in the lake from the bank with spinning tackle. Unfortunately for the most part the shoreline is heavily wooded and the water drops off deep pretty quickly. The lake is easily accessible from the road. You migOf course you can fly fish the creek but it is almost too cold on teh 4th of July for wet wading.ht be able to fling some flys off the dam which would give you some air. We had our best catches with sinking line on small flys down deep & coming up.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby orey10m » Wed May 07, 2014 10:01 pm

I ended up stopping at Swamp Creek, in Whitfield County, because it was the least out-of-the-way. It was hard to find a public part of that stream though - it mainly seemed to be on people's land. I was able to get in the creek right off the road and make a few casts. Pulled out this little bluegill actually pretty quick, but that was all I caught.
orey10m
Dink

Postby Blackwater » Wed May 07, 2014 10:13 pm

I am trying to study to identify fish better. I make this to be a green sunfish. here's the link. Maybe someone else will take a stab at identity or maybe state their agreement on my stab. http://fishesofgeorgia.uga.edu/index.ph ... y=lepocyan

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby orey10m » Fri May 09, 2014 8:15 am

I think you're right on about that
orey10m
Dink

Return to Fly Fishing Forum