Don't be caught napping........

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Don't be caught napping........

Postby shoalieman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 am

The timespan from late FEB thru early to mid April is a golden opportunity for quality-sized river bass on the fly. If you wait until your comfortable (low clear flows and nicey nice wussy weather) in late April, it's too late!!! Your left with dink city.
If the big river bass are comfortable, your usually uncomfortable (higher and stained flows, etc.) but you will catch them. Don't wait until they are uncomfortable and the fair weather anglers are stomping all over the rivers-----your way too late.
The early bird may get the worm, but the early fly guy gets the hawg(s).
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Re: Don't be caught napping........

Postby nielson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Great tip but it's so cold, hard to wade, windy, wah, wah, wah, whine, snivel, wimper ..........!
Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Riverpirate » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Weekend prostaff stuff has kept me off the river most weekends. I'll be there next weekend though.
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby paddler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

over flooded sand bars, the backside in particular is a good starting place
paddler
Dink

Postby shoalieman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Good info Paddler---thanks.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman

Postby Bamaspot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Riverpirate wrote:Weekend prostaff stuff has kept me off the river most weekends........

Joe Theisman is advertising some vitamins for this problem......Oh wait...you said "prostaff". :oops:
Bamaspot
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nokinrocks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Bamaspot wrote:
Riverpirate wrote:Weekend prostaff stuff has kept me off the river most weekends........

Joe Theisman is advertising some vitamins for this problem......Oh wait...you said "prostaff". :oops:

HAHA :D
"wind from the north, stay home, of courth." — Blackwater Bill

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby shoalieman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Yep, ole Joe said he's only doing it once a night now and sometimes not even at all. He said he was really tired of doing it 3 or 4 times a night.

Yep, the rivers are all flooded................... :( :( :(
shoalieman

Postby Seminole Steve » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 pm

drove over OC on Hwy 96 Tuesday - boat ramp fenced off because water was up in parking lot! Hadn't seen that in years.

Back down in banks today, but 2 days of rain coming....

Fishing time may be limited from here on out...
University of Alabama fans telling Auburn that they cheated is like Snookie telling Halle Berry that she is ugly. You just have to laugh.
- Charles Barkley
Seminole Steve
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby mike@jb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:13 pm

65-degrees Sunday in ATL...
I'll try the local ponds to see if the bass are stirring. Rivers up north are probably too cold for bass.
I've been playing with articulated flies, so we'll see if I can chuck 'em Sunday
mike@jb
Stumpknocker

Return to Fly Fishing Forum