Popper Painting Tricks

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Popper Painting Tricks

Postby nielson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Link below will take you to an excellent paper including great photographs showing a technique for painting poppers that will provide you spectacular looking bugs. The best part is that it can be done simply and inexpensively using craft shop acrylic paints, tooth picks, needles and various sized thin cylinders (use your imagination). If you can "dot an i" you can master this technique in short order. Your pal, Jim

http://www.flytier.com/stippled.pdf
Last edited by nielson on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Re: Popper Painting Tricks

Postby Blackwater » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Very nice Jim. I painted a lure last week and Doublehaul encouraged me to put a picture on the board but I am releuctant to do so. Afraid that everybody will want me to start painting them lures like they beg Crawdadcraig for his flies. I might post it one of these days if there seems to be interst in that sort of thing.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 pm

For what it's worth, i'm interested. I'll even promise I won't ask you to make me one. C'mon, let's have a look! YPJ
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Blackwater » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Jim

You would be the last person I would expect to ask me to paint one for you since it is a big piece of wood about 7 inches long that weighs 3 oz.

My time is so limited I'll have to think it over. Besides that, the lure tonight is out in the studio. Since it is you Pal Jim, I will get it in here in the office tomorrow and make a picture.

Blackwater
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nokinrocks » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Jim - I saw the thread where this was posted, there was some good info discussed. Have you posted the tying instructions for the poppers you posted over there? I would like to add them to my box.

Thanks for posting.
"wind from the north, stay home, of courth." — Blackwater Bill

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Return to Fly Fishing Forum