The North/South Connection

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

The North/South Connection

Postby crawdadcraig » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I recently got back from a month long trip back up to Yankeeville to visit relatives in Chicago. It's funny that I never noticed before the many similarities between the north and south that had been there all the time but I had overlooked. First, it was near or over one hundred degrees for most of the time I spent nearly eight hundred miles north of here. In fact, Florida had cooler weather during that time frame. Then there was the fishing.

The Kankakee River was running at historic low levels and it felt like bath water even though it's known for smallmouth. But it didn't keep me from catching fish.

Yes, that's yet another new fly pattern in it's mouth, the crankbug. Lots of largemouth up north too and they like Georgia Bullfrawgs.

They also developed a taste for the Darth Baiter.

I recalled the fishing being similar but I guess a few things had changed up north since I left. Personally I'm a Dawg fan but in Chicago's Brookfield Zoo they beg to differ.

Then there was the real surprise. I live in Forsyth County Georgia and I don't see this.

I don't know what goes on at the Wisconsin State Fair or does it have something to do with the selection of Congressman Ryan to the ticket against Obama but it was weird to see.
crawdadcraig
Massive Etowah Striper

Re: The North/South Connection

Postby nokinrocks » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:42 pm

Hot report and Cool Patterns Thx
"wind from the north, stay home, of courth." — Blackwater Bill

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby double haul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:48 pm

I tried the crankbug on some shoalies the other day. They ate it. I wish I had pics to post but I am without camera these days. the crankbug definitely works.
double haul
South Georgia Redbreast

Postby nielson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 am

Nice fish and enjoyable report.
By the way, I grew up in St Louis and know what you mean by miserable weather. Not a bit better than down here in Georgia except it just doesn't last as long.
YPJ

PS: Those look like Klan sheep.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Fly Fishing Forum