Hairy Fodder

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Re: Hairy Fodder

Postby nokinrocks » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 am

drycreek wrote:Nokin, you can get them from crawdadcraig, just PM him for the sddress. When we goin fishin? Blaze misses me.

You have any Saturdays or Sundays open?
"wind from the north, stay home, of courth." — Blackwater Bill

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby shoalieman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 pm

mine and Shoalieman's spring fly

Surprisingly enough, those big gaudy HFs also work pretty well in JAN and early FEB when the water is really cold. Maybe because winter river flows are somewhat dingier even at lower flows???
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby nokinrocks » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:20 am

crawdadcraig wrote:Hairy Fodders can be tied in sizes from #4 up to #3/0. For me the 1/0 size is my standard (original version) but I will go bigger in dirty or high water and smaller in low or clear. Rainy's commercially ties the pattern in #4 - 2 - 1/0 - 3/0 just like I do and in brown/red legs, olive/chart legs, white/chart, fire tiger in size #4 for the damn trout guys. I've been telling them I use these colors in #2 and #1/0 all the time for bass but "sales" rules out. But for the saltwater fishermen they do produce an all white, yellow/red(mine and Shoalieman's spring fly), white/chart/red, chart/green in sizes #1/0 and #3/0 plus the purple/black Fodder in size #1/0. There is also a #2 purple/pink Fodder for steelhead. ALL of these are available at Cohutta's Fishing Company in Cartersville, GA 770-606-1100 or http://www.cohuttafishingco.com . Just talk to Andy Bowen and he can hook you up to whatever you need, even all my other fly patterns.

Fishing the rivers here in Georgia, the purple/black and the brown/red followed by the white/chart are my fav's. But there is one color that is my personal best that is not commercially available (yet). That is and olive body with a black head with purple legs in the middle and blue legs on the side, gold flash. I call it a sunfish, if you see my article in the spring 09 Fly Tyer magazine there is a picture of it. Glad there is still interest in the pattern. Good luck with it!

I have caught Rainbows out of the Hooch on #2 Purple/Black... Hooked my largest Brown in the Hooch on a #2 Rust/Orange..

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby drycreek » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for all the comments and info. Now for one more thing. Any eye color preference? Or does it depend on the color of the fly. I got a handful of assorted sizes, but most of them are unpainted lead or nickle. I've tied about a dozen or so HF's all with rings for changing eyes. Now I need to paint some eyes. Thanks
I will go fishing today. Redwing blackbirds do not sing on tombstones. wa
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nokinrocks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:52 pm

drycreek wrote:Thanks for all the comments and info. Now for one more thing. Any eye color preference? Or does it depend on the color of the fly. I got a handful of assorted sizes, but most of them are unpainted lead or nickle. I've tied about a dozen or so HF's all with rings for changing eyes. Now I need to paint some eyes. Thanks

Red

nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby dhatch » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 pm

I've tied mine with red eyes for the purple/black/crawfish patterns. I use the chartruese eyes for the white/chart. pattern. So I try to match it to the body colors. I am waiting on some materials and I will start cranking out some HF's and trying to fill my trout boxes before the dh.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

~by Chuck Clark~
dhatch
Stumpknocker

Previous

Return to Fly Fishing Forum