Hairy Fodder

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Hairy Fodder

Postby drycreek » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 am

Fixing to tie up some Hairy Fodders. I'm wondering what's the most popular size and color.
I will go fishing today. Redwing blackbirds do not sing on tombstones. wa
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Re: Hairy Fodder

Postby dhatch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:27 am

If I remember, I tie all of mine on a size 2 hook. I tie them chart/white, white, purple/black, black, and a rust brown that is a crawfish color.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

~by Chuck Clark~
dhatch
Stumpknocker

Postby nokinrocks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:36 am

That color :)

Hairy Fodder by Nokinrocks, on Flickr

Seriously, I like the standard black, white, and olive patterns on a #2, but purple is my secret go to...
"wind from the north, stay home, of courth." — Blackwater Bill

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nokinrocks » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am

dhatch wrote: and a rust brown that is a crawfish color.

One of the largest Hooch Browns I have hooked was on this color pattern...

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Riverpirate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

The black with fire tiger tail has worked well for me.
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby dhatch » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 am

Riverpirate wrote:The black with fire tiger tail has worked well for me.

I haven't tried that pattern, I guess I'll have to order some more materials. Fly tying really doesn't save me any money, I spend any possible savings on more materials to tie one more pattern that someone has success with. Combine that with my very limited amount of vise time these days, and I have tons of material and very few flies. Fly tying is still a very enjoyable past time for me, and a close second to actually fishing.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

~by Chuck Clark~
dhatch
Stumpknocker

Postby drycreek » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:32 pm

# 2 sounds like a good middle. All the videos, etc call for 1/0 hook, but Feathercraft only sells it in a # 4. I guess the # 2 calls for a smaller rattle
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nokinrocks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 am

Crawdad Craig sent me the tying instructions and the sizes were 2 and 4, the #4 had fewer legs and no rattle. Not to say, you can't tie them bigger.

nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby dhatch » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:06 am

drycreek wrote:# 2 sounds like a good middle. All the videos, etc call for 1/0 hook, but Feathercraft only sells it in a # 4. I guess the # 2 calls for a smaller rattle

I use the mini (3mm) Glass Torpedo Rattles from feather-craft.

~by Chuck Clark~
dhatch
Stumpknocker

Postby Goofus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:48 am

Here is a good source that Craig turned me on to for any size Fodder hook. Only problem is the smallest amount you can buy is 100 but if you tie a lot or can share and order with others, they don't last that long.

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?ro ... th=2_93_98
Goofus
Stumpknocker

Postby drycreek » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Any ideas on locating the rubber rings? I had a link somewhere, but I lost it.
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Postby Goofus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:54 am

Contact Craig directly. He used to sell them.
Goofus
Stumpknocker

Postby nokinrocks » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 am

If you find some let me know... The type of rings that work well used to be found in eyeglass repair kits. I tried tracking down a manufacturer a while back, with no luck.

nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby crawdadcraig » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Hairy Fodders can be tied in sizes from #4 up to #3/0. For me the 1/0 size is my standard (original version) but I will go bigger in dirty or high water and smaller in low or clear. Rainy's commercially ties the pattern in #4 - 2 - 1/0 - 3/0 just like I do and in brown/red legs, olive/chart legs, white/chart, fire tiger in size #4 for the damn trout guys. I've been telling them I use these colors in #2 and #1/0 all the time for bass but "sales" rules out. But for the saltwater fishermen they do produce an all white, yellow/red(mine and Shoalieman's spring fly), white/chart/red, chart/green in sizes #1/0 and #3/0 plus the purple/black Fodder in size #1/0. There is also a #2 purple/pink Fodder for steelhead. ALL of these are available at Cohutta's Fishing Company in Cartersville, GA 770-606-1100 or www.cohuttafishingco.com . Just talk to Andy Bowen and he can hook you up to whatever you need, even all my other fly patterns.

Fishing the rivers here in Georgia, the purple/black and the brown/red followed by the white/chart are my fav's. But there is one color that is my personal best that is not commercially available (yet). That is and olive body with a black head with purple legs in the middle and blue legs on the side, gold flash. I call it a sunfish, if you see my article in the spring 09 Fly Tyer magazine there is a picture of it. Glad there is still interest in the pattern. Good luck with it!
crawdadcraig
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby drycreek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Nokin, you can get them from crawdadcraig, just PM him for the sddress. When we goin fishin? Blaze misses me.
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Next

Return to Fly Fishing Forum