Hand Furled Leaders

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Postby darenwh » Thu May 27, 2010 3:24 pm

For keeping the tag ends apart and to allow them to untwist while you are making these try seperating the two by either dropping them out windows that are close to each other (I have two on second story about three feet apart) or by placing them through the railing on a deck (again mine is second story). I am going to try this over the next few days and am anticipating good results with it. I have been wanting to try furled leaders and this saves me from having to build a jig.
Daren
darenwh
Fried Jack Fish

Postby Wood Duck » Thu May 27, 2010 9:45 pm

Tied some up a few weeks ago and really like them. Has anyone had one to break yet? Just curious what the weakest point is.
Wood Duck
Pollywog

Postby nielson » Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 am

Wood Duck wrote:
"Tied some up a few weeks ago and really like them. Has anyone had one to break yet? Just curious what the weakest point is."

Good question. I've been fishing these things exclusively for more than a month without one breaking. Tied them up using either Trilene 10 lb (.014") or Trilene 8 lb (.012") mono.

That said, your question prompted me to run a little test this morning. Took a short test leader, about 2' long, made from the 10 lb mono. Put the the two loops through pencils so I could get a good grip and tried to break it. Didn't happen.

However, what did happen was that the nail knot I've been using slipped up toward the butt and ended up at the butt end loop. In essence, that left me with just a two strand leader vs the original two section leader, 4 strand and 2 strand.

This was not good! Now I really put the pressure on to make this happen. I've never noticed this while fishing but it's something for you to think about. If it bothers you, I suggest you use the Surgeon's knot which should not slip. I for one am not planning to be tuna or marlin fishing anytime soon so I doubt I'll go back to using the Surgeon's knot.

Thought you'd like to know. Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Wood Duck » Fri May 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Thanks Jim,

I also use the nail knot on P-line and have had great success with this leader. I strictly use it for bass and was just trying to play the devils advocate on these leaders. It was kinda brought up at the beginning of this thread that going from 4 braid to 2 braid, you still have the single loop at the butt and tip end of the leader.
Wood Duck
Pollywog

Re: Hand Furled Leaders

Postby Blackwater » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I coipied the building furled leaders video URL to here because it is a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3 ... r_embedded
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Previous

Return to Fly Fishing Forum