Hand Furled Leaders

The long rod ain't just for trout, you know! Discuss chasing bass and bream on the fly right here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Hand Furled Leaders

Postby fishinbub » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:16 am

This is great. Scroll down to post #6.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=516648
If you set your mind to learning you will find failure is the best teacher.

Fishinbub
fishinbub
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nielson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:47 am

Thanks for posting this, fishinbub! This is about as nifty a trick as I've ever seen and results in a decent leader.

Here's a direct link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3 ... r_embedded

If you were not aware of this technique, I highly recommend you have a look at the video. It's short, very clear and understandable.

I tied up my first one right after I had a look at the video. Took me about 30 minutes. This morning, I tied another up in 17 minutes. I used 8 lb Stren mono only because I had some laying around. Both ended up a little over 6' long. With 3' of tippet ... the math isn't hard.

I fished with the one I first tied the other night and it cast very well or at least as well as my conventional hand-tied leaders.

Again, I suggest you give it a try. Your pal, Jim

UPDATE (1 Apr 10): I originally said I built these first two leaders with 12lb mono. That's not true, used 8 lb. The diameter was .012".
Last edited by nielson on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Big Fish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

This looks like a pretty awesome idea. Only one failure point (surgeon's loop) compared to my leaders that have at least 2 line to line connections plus a perfection loop. I wonder how well these twisted lines hold small split shot as I like to place my shot above my tippet. Anybody use these with shot/indy rigs?
Big Fish
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nielson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Big Fish,

I don't think the surgeons knot is a problem. It's really not a connection point, it's only purpose is to keep the furl from unwrapping. Your split shot question is a good one though. However, and not that it helps much, it's the same problem you'd have with a normally constructed furled or braided leader.

I suggest you put one together and try it out.

Your pal, Jim

PS: If you don't like it, blame me. If you like it, the credit goes to fishinbub.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby fishinbub » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

I've never tried putting shot on a furled leader before. I'll check with some guys on another board that use them more than I do.

Tight Lines,
Bub

Fishinbub
fishinbub
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nielson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Bub,
Not exactly a groundswell of interest and enthusiasm about this technique. Perhaps the "conventional furled" leader police got to these guys.
your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby mike@jb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 pm

I think this is a good idea.
I had trouble making this leader with 10-lb P-line.
The flouro coating may be too stiff for the twist memory to hold.

Will try again with 100% mono line.
mike@jb
Stumpknocker

Postby Big Fish » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:26 am

I tied up two last night using 10# Maxima Ultragreen. I had a hard time keeping the untwisted part ( the tag ends away from the loop) from twisting. The second twist came out a lot nicer. I'll try again a few more times this weekend... I watched the video a bunch of times. Is there any good way to prevent the tags from twisting?
Big Fish
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nielson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:03 pm

"Is there any good way to prevent the tags from twisting?"

I know what you mean. And I saw two problems:
1. Each line has a tendency to twist up on itself.
2. If the two lines come in contact, they'll twist together.

You can prevent #2 problem by keeping the two separated - stretched out in opposite directions. I used my kitchen table to separate them, draping a line off each side.

Problem one is harder to solve. The twist you're making has got to twist itself out the end of the line. If something resists it doing so, the line will eventually twist up on itself.

Although not particularly feasible, if you could find a 10' wall to straddle and drape each end over a side. Not touching much of anything, the twists you're making will have a better chance of working out each end.

Another trick I think would work is to hire a couple guys to hold each end and put countertwists in as you twist up the leader.

The compromise I found is to have the lines lay out on as smooth a surface as possible. In my case, that's the kitchen floor. At the same time, I keep watch on the lines to see if they are starting to twist, stop the furling and run my hand down the line to run the twists down the end.
If you do that before the thing starts tangling, it's not too bad.

Another thing I think will help is don't try to twist too tightly. The first one I made took 30 minutes as I was only getting about a 1/2 inch of twisted line per twist. For the second one, I moved the line closer to 2" per twist. The end result was pretty much the same, way quicker and I had fewer tangles.

The good news is that the problem is pretty much limited to the twisting of the first furl. The shorter 2d furl is easier to handle.

By the way, it's best to limit yourself to no more than two Old Fashions before you start and put the cat out.

Hope this helps, Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby boissage » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I tried to twist up one tonight. I had the same problem as Bigfish. I ended up throwing it away. I may try again tomorrow.
boissage
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Big Fish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:22 am

I made up a shorter one (about 5') this weekend for streamer fishing. It worked very well. Keeping lines on different sides of the table greatly helped. I managed my personal best on a fly rod largemouth that went 4#4oz on a white/olive clouser. Hopefully, I'll bust a decent striper this year...
Thanks for the help.
Big Fish
Big Fish
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nielson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 am

Tangle-Free Leader Making Trick

I was over at my pal Gene's house this weekend and we tied up a couple of these leaders. The lesson we learned is that if you team up to tie them up, you'll stay tangle-free.

The trick is for one guy to do the twisting and the other guy to periodically lightly grab each of the tag lines and run the twists out. Doesn't have to be a continuous process but the more often the better. Takes about 2-3 seconds to run the twists out on each line.

They tie up quite a bit faster as the guy doing the twisting never has to stop to straighten out the tags.

Thought you'd like to know, Your pal, Jim

By the way, if I attended Fly club meetings, this would make an excellent activity to do at a meeting. A short demo and then have folks team up and build a leader. Everyone would walk out with two or three leaders. All it would cost would be the price of a couple spools of mono. (Note: a 100 yd spool of mono will make up 13 six foot leaders. (starting with a 22' piece of mono))

Last one I built I used 14 lb mono (.014" dia) and it's a peach.
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby boissage » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Jim; I tried again last night with better results. I followed your suggestion of keeping the lines seperated. Eighteen feet of mono made a five foot leader.
boissage
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nielson » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:45 am

Bigfish: Did you like the way they cast? Kinda Ho-hum or did you notice something different, good or bad?

Same with you Boissage - share your thoughts after you've cast one a bit.

My impression remains ho-hum plus. Seems to do as well as my regular leaders. My pal, Gene, however, thinks they cast superbly but, for reasons I'll not get into here, I don't put much stock in what he has to say.

Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby fishinbub » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:13 pm

How many of you guys have used a regular furled leader made on a furling board? How do these compare?

Fishinbub
fishinbub
Fried Jack Fish

Next

Return to Fly Fishing Forum