May 9th + full moon = bream heaven

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

May 9th + full moon = bream heaven

Postby possum steak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 am

May 9th is the first full moon of the month. According to Dan Barnett's feeding times (http://burlandtrophytrout.com/Dan%20Bar ... 0Times.htm) that Friday & Saturday the best fishing days that week. The link posted above is all I could find about from Dan Barnett's feeding times, I've got the latest out of Ga. Sportsman magazine.

Do any of y'all religiously fish for bream during these peak times while the bream are on bed? I've always had lots of luck & also have caught many bass feeding on the bream at the same time.

Places I've had lots of luck outside of the smaller ponds & private lakes:

Jackson Lake - the lake I fished the most while growing up, need location let me know and I'll google map the exact location for you.
Lake Lanier - find a remote cove that's shallow and bank fisherman
cannot access & you'll probably get a bed.
High Falls State Park - the river below, get away from the heavy fished areas & go on down.
Flint River - I grew up in Clayton County all up and down where the river starts below the airport, I've caught them everywhere on this river.

Oconee River right below the Georgia Power dam near Watkinsville. My father, a preacher friend and me caught around 90-100 mixed with some bass & catfish once.
If anyone knows of the best rivers or large creeks to catch lots of bream please share.

If I have any luck, I'll post the pictures here.
-jay
possum steak
Needle Nose Gar

Postby Jre 1274 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm

Bream are hands down my favorite fish to catch. I chase em every full moon till september.
failure is a much better teacher than success.
Jre 1274
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Blackwater » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Been fishing full moons of April May & June since I was a tadpole.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby boonhogganbeck » Wed May 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Anywhere in metro Atlanta to bream fish? Anywhere on the Hooch? How's Bull Sluice?
boonhogganbeck
Pollywog

Postby possum steak » Thu May 07, 2009 6:43 pm

boonhogganbeck wrote:Anywhere in metro Atlanta to bream fish? Anywhere on the Hooch? How's Bull Sluice?

are you in south metro or what?

West metro I don't know too well. Northeast & southeast metro I know very well.

I landed about 20 bream yesterday off worms in a creek that goes under highway 20 right at the Mall of Georgia.

Friday I'm hitting Lake Lanier. I know where some unknown bream beds there every year.
possum steak
Needle Nose Gar

Postby boonhogganbeck » Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 pm

I live in south Atlanta, but I'm pretty mobile.

BTW, this is a great site. I grew up fishing lakes with my grandfather and never really considered river fishing. This place has really lit a fire with me :D

Oh, also, is it safe to eat fish out of the Hooch? I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard some say upper Chattahoochee only.
boonhogganbeck
Pollywog

Postby possum steak » Sun May 10, 2009 6:09 pm

boonhogganbeck wrote:I live in south Atlanta, but I'm pretty mobile.

BTW, this is a great site. I grew up fishing lakes with my grandfather and never really considered river fishing. This place has really lit a fire with me :D

Oh, also, is it safe to eat fish out of the Hooch? I've heard conflicting reports. I've heard some say upper Chattahoochee only.

down in the pan handle of Clayton County there are many good lakes. It's been since 1998 when I moved to the northside, so I'm not sure how the fishing pressure is. Here's a list of good south metro fishing lakes, I'm not familiar with all of them, so I'm not sure if they are private or not. http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/georgia/clayton/

I would eat fish out of the 'Hooch any day of the week. I'll tell you what I know of the river. It of course flows in to Lake Lanier. I fish the river & lake often & eat fish out of both. The lake eventually flows into West Point Lake. I used to fish that when I lived in Jonesboro weekly. I will add this note on West Point. My brother in law used to have his boat parked at a boat dock storage that sat on the lake, his boat (white in color) did get stained within a month. I've eaten many fish out of West Point without any known problems.

I'm with you concerning this site here, it has gotten my interest as I've never really considered river fishing very much over the years. I went to "Basser Drew's" website & got tons of tips concerning river fishing. I honestly did not know of a "shoal bass" before I found this website.

Good luck & if you catch any, be sure & tell us what kind of luck you had.
possum steak
Needle Nose Gar

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!