King Mac

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

King Mac

Postby JoeSoup » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:18 am

Looking for a good recipe for cooking up some King Mackeral. I had a work-mate give me some, and looking for a different recipe to try. Dont want to fry it, since this is really expensive fish.

Any Help?
To err is human, to fish is devine!
JoeSoup
Stumpknocker

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:41 am

Mrs. Van Matre's recipe for grilled fish works with most any salt water fish, best with amberjack.

Melt one stick of butter, add juice of one lemon, two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, and a a teaspoon of lemon pepper. Baste mackerel with this concoction, then grill, basting occasionally until done (flaky) do not over cook, Give it one last good basting ad eat it.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby timbo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:38 pm

King Mackerel is not one of the tastier fish you will eat. I have prepared it a couple of times and would not even go through the trouble again. Avoid the darker bloodier meat. The key to making it somewhat palatible is to mask it with other very strong flavors. I marinated mine once in olive oil and orange zest then grilled it. I saw one recipe where it was basted with creamy italian dressing; that might work. BwB's recipe sounded pretty good. One thing you can do is smoke it and flake it (discarding the bloodier meat) and make a tuna type salad with it. Just don't expect much tastewise.
timbo
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 pm

I think it has a gray looking streak down the middle of it which should be trimmmed out sort of like salmon. If you eat it you will not like it. I have had some decent tasting mackerel. S&S Cafeteria ued to feature somekind of mackerel every day that was good. I am not sur eif it was spanish or king or what kind it was.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby GonetoSeed » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm

I fish with some guys on the OBX that fish the King tournaments. They usually steak their Kings as soon as they hit the dock, marinade with a zesty Italian dressing overnight and grill (with a little alder wood if handy). Sometimes they cook fillets with the dark lines in the flanks and near the back removed as BwB points out. btw, to get rid of even more of the oil for the non-fishy taste people they soak the steaks (or fillets) in SunDrop (7Up works in you're not in NC) and coldwater overnight.

What I like the best is a pretty simple smoked spread one of them makes - smoked and flaked King, a little mayo, pickle relish, chopped onions and some lemon juice (with cold beverage of choice to accompany).
GonetoSeed
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby FishingAddict » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Make sure to cut the red out of it.

The red is not actually muscle- it's an organ. It is the fish's lateral line organ, which will taint the rest of the fish when you cook it if you don't cut it out. And you 'taint gonna want to eat it if it's tainted. (The lateral line is what allows the fish to feel vibrations in the water to locate prey/baitfish, and to hear you bang on the side of the yak, so it knows when NOT to eat :lol: .)

For grilling any fish, make sure you coat it in some sort of oil (I like olive oil and whatever marinade I am using)

Make sure the fish is DRY before you coat it.

And make sure at least part of the grill is super hot. Sear the outside of the fish on all sides. If it needs longer to cook it thru, move to a cooler part of the grill. Many fish, if it is very fresh, actaully tastes better medium rare. But don't try it unless you know where that sucker came from and that it's been on ice from the get go.
I don't give a darn about any man who can only spell a word one way.

Mark Twain
FishingAddict
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby celticfisherman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:06 pm

I like a little bit of olive oil and some lemon juice.
celticfisherman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby waderjon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:05 pm

I have used the Zesty Italian dressing on several types of fish
and its always great and easy too..A little wood smoke makes it
even better :D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby kokosing lover » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:25 pm

FishingAddict wrote:The red is not actually muscle- it's an organ.

Nope! The red meat is muscle. Fish have two types of muscle, fast twitch muscle and slow twitch muscle. The fast twitch muscle is responsible for sudden short bursts of speed, and that muscle is the lighter meat in the fish's body. Most fish that are ambush predators that spend little time moving except for suden explosive attacks tend to have almost all fast twitch (lighter) muscle, which is why fish like flounder have such light meat.

Slow twitch muscle is used for continuous swimming at a slower cruising speed. Fish that tend to spend all of their time in motion have a higher proportion of slow twitch (red) muscle. So that's why constant swimmers like mackerels, jacks and tunas have such a big red midline.

This midline tastes so bad/strong because that's where the majority of large blood vessels run through so it's packed with all the blood. As for the lateral line itself, it is distinct from the slow twitch muscle, though it often follows along the same line as the slow twitch muscle.

As for cooking the kingfish, I'd say smoke it. If it's fresh you can bake it, otherwise marinate it overnight and grill (and cut out the midline either before cokking or eat around it afterwards).
kokosing lover
Hornyhead

Postby pamlico » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Good info Koko I never knew what that red was in some fish. Great explanation. IMHO Kings are not that great, Spanish are much better. I'd say a good King recipe would be like a good carp recipe. Smoke for 8 hours over a ceder plank. Throw the fish in the garden and eat the plank!!
pamlico
Ole Mossyback

Postby Blackwater » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:46 pm

Hey Joe

If all these experts think this fish is crap to eat, why is it so expensive? :lol:

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Titaniumman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:26 pm

Blackwater wrote:If all these experts think this fish is crap to eat, why is it so expensive? :lol:

All I know is that I think Andre' Brut champagne ($4.56/bottle) tastes better than Dom Perignon ($160/bottle).
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby pamlico » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Actually Kings are not too bad if they are fresh and cleaned of the red meat, but I still prefer Spanish.........just kidding on the plank......actually carp are ok too if you can get past the bones. I lived in Missouri from 81-84 and found out that in the SE part of the state they prefer Carp over Catfish. All the fish houses along the river there sell carp over cats at least 5-1.
pamlico
Ole Mossyback

Postby Blackwater » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:12 pm

That must be in the bootheel. hhehehhehehehehhehehhehehehehehehh

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!