Pretty Darn Good Pancakes

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

Pretty Darn Good Pancakes

Postby nielson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:09 pm

To put this in perspective, I've never been a pancake guy. I'd eat them but only if I didn't have a choice. That is until now.

In a mystery I was reading Friday night, the story had the main character making cottage cheese pancakes. Not much detail included but it did involve Bisquick and cottage cheese. Not sure why, but it got my interest and I thought I'd give it a try.

The next morning, I whipped up a batch as best I could and they were terrific -- best damn pancakes I've ever eaten!

The concept is simple: For every cup of dry mixture in your pancakes, add a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and reduce your liquid accordingly.

Let me head off many of the obvious questions I expect to get:

Q: Does it matter what basic pancake recipe you use?
A: I don't think so. I tried both a classic Bisquick mixture and then one of those "just add water" types. Both were excellent. I'm sure it will work just fine with your great-granny's secret buttermilk sourdough flapjack recipe.

Q: Large curd or small curd cottage cheese? Low fat?
A: I used large curd regular cottage cheese but I bet it doesn't matter.

Q: How did you figure out the proportion of cottage cheese to dry mixture?
A: I winged it.

Q: Does it taste like cottage cheese? I hate cottage cheese.
A: No, it tastes great and it's moist.

Q: I don't believe you, can I use a different kind of cheese?
A: Yes you can. Use any damn cheese you want. Use head cheese for that matter but you won't have cottage cheese pancakes anymore, you'll have head cheese pancakes.

Q: How thick should the batter be?
A: Thicker than beer and thinner than swiss cheese. Somewhere in between, like pancake batter.

Q: Do I need to stir out all the little globs of cottage cheese in the batter?
A: I don't know. I didn't. The pancake mix instructions said don't beat the bejeezus out of the batter or you'll dick it up so I didn't. Because I didn't, there were bunches of cottage cheese blobs in the batter.

Q: How am I supposed to cook the batter?
A: If you have to ask, try boiling it.

Bon Appetite!

Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby sumtershoaliefan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Sounds good, but you didn't recomend what kind of syrup to use.

SSF
sumtershoaliefan
2007 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby BasserDrew » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:30 pm

That was pretty good, Jim. Now, down to the kitchen I go... :lol:
BasserDrew
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Blackwater » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I am glad you liked them. It will be long while before I try them though. Cottage cheese reminds me of my mother-in law. She used to eat that stuff like it was ice cream.

Which reminds me of a story, a man and woman married and quickly discovered it was a mistake, they hated each other. Stayed together for many years though but finally he left her. Right away she got a tumor and was told she only had days to live. He came by to tell her adios and the wife told him she had one last request, would he ride to the cemetary for her burial in the limo with her mother. He gave it some thought, and said well, it will take the joy out of the trip, but since its your last request I will do it.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!