Hartwell Night - Day Double

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

Hartwell Night - Day Double

Postby mattyk04 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:43 pm

Spent last Saturday night & Sunday morning fishing on Lake Hartwell (actually on SC side) trying for what we call the Night Day Double....

Began at dark with night crawlers and some cold beverages, wasnt long before I had a bent rod and was greeted by the first whiskered visitor of the night -

Ended up with four catfish, not large maybe 19" max and up to a pound, but after a couple skunks on my local bass flow it felt good to hook up again. All released in fine health to resume cattin'.

So, with the first half of the double complete, changed over all my gear and caught a few hours sleep before returning to the exact same section of shore the next morning to try and haul in some bass.

Had it going right away with a yellow beetle spin shortly after daybreak, ended up with 3 nice LM's and spots like the one pictured below. Again, all C&R. First time in many visits to this area that I have been able to complete the Double!

mattyk04
Dink

Postby the-bass-catcher » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Wow, look at the white edges around that spot's fins. That's one of the methods the ID peeps on the site always use to ID redeye bass from others, but that fish totally looks like a spotted bass no doubt - a very nice one at that!
-Andrew, TBC
the-bass-catcher
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby sumtershoaliefan » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:24 pm

I'd call it a redeye.

SSF
sumtershoaliefan
2007 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby BasserDrew » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:30 am

That is a redeye. Those are the ones that live in Hartwell. That is one reason some think those are a different seperate species from other redeyes - because they can live in a lake environment.
BasserDrew
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby mattyk04 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:26 am

Very interesting...I was going to post a "what kind of fish is this" poll, but thought maybe this board was getting tired of that sort of thing. I will change my records to "redeye" for this one (and another I caught that looked just like it).

Thanks!
mattyk04
Dink

Postby the-bass-catcher » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:19 pm

So these are the redeye's that some are calling Bartram's. Isn't lake Hartwell the lake where that beastly state record redeye was caught, too?

I guess they just have a lot of spotted bass looking characteristics but now that y'all have said that it is a redeye, I see that too.
-Andrew, TBC
the-bass-catcher
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby mattyk04 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:50 pm

I looked that up earlier, according to the SCDNR website the record was set in Lake Jocassee. Its funny, I have caught redeyes in the Savannah River and to say those are the same species as this fish just doesnt make sense to me. But, I guess before Hartwell was built there were redeyes in the Tugaloo, Seneca rivers so it would stand to reason that they could adapt to the lake environment. I just wonder where the line could ultimately be drawn to classify them as a sub species officially.
mattyk04
Dink

Postby Jay » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 pm

My understanding is that the Redeye formerly known as Bartram's had markings similar to a smallie, much like the redeye That Drew posted in another thread. Most of the samples that Dr. Bud Freeman referred to were from a stream in georgia in the Savannah River watershed. I,ve caught some of these but its been a few years. What criterion is used to delineate a subspecies from a seperate species from just normal variation is probably a subject so boring and yet highly debated as to cause alcohol abuse to run rampant in the scientific community. I think the fish in the picture is confused and doesn't know what it is. It needs to take a good hard look at itself and then get on with its life.
Jay
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby dblhaul » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Text book red-eye - micopterus coosae. Lapis "eye piercing" and white edged fins. Nice one. Anyone have a photo of the Bartram's strain?
dblhaul
Turtle on a Log

Postby BasserDrew » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:27 pm

This is not from the Bartrams strain that are found in the Broad and Savannah but rather these are one river system over in SC on the Saluda. I would call them Bartrams for sure.

BasserDrew
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby dblhaul » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 am

Wow. COULD that fished be more mottled in coloration? :shock: There are some smallie x red-eye hybrids over this way. The Weogufka area does have a population that looks similar to yours Drew, but that one is amazing. Here's a B'ham'er that is not "typical" in color, and one that my buddy Kreekn caught that looks to be a smallie x red-eye.
dblhaul
Turtle on a Log

Postby dblhaul » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:22 pm

mattyk04 wrote:I looked that up earlier, according to the SCDNR website the record was set in Lake Jocassee. Its funny, I have caught redeyes in the Savannah River and to say those are the same species as this fish just doesnt make sense to me. But, I guess before Hartwell was built there were redeyes in the Tugaloo, Seneca rivers so it would stand to reason that they could adapt to the lake environment. I just wonder where the line could ultimately be drawn to classify them as a sub species officially.

I believe this is the Lake Jocassee fish your thinking about. I believe SCDNR is still waiting to confirm DNA testing.
dblhaul
Turtle on a Log

Postby Bruiser » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Broad River near Athens

Bruiser
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!