P, B & J GRF Style

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

P, B & J GRF Style

Postby Blackwater » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:29 am

Much has been said over the last couple of years about the quality of PB&J sandwiches that I have shared at times with others on the river. In fact Creekstalker has gone so far as to suggest while planning a float for us that I bring some on the trip. Shoalieman and Basserdrew have enjoyed the bounty of the Blackwater kitchen. For those of you who remember the college football pickem' contest we had on here last year, we had a participant named Catfisher. Catfisher is my wonderful wife of almost 39 years. She orders wheat from high in the Rocky Mountains that is advertised to be organic and directly descended from the same wheat that Ruth garnered from the field of Boaz. Catfisher grinds her wheat to flour in our kitchen just as she prepares to bake bread which about every 3-4 days. With that freshly ground flour she makes the dough, let's it rise and then prepares the loaves for the baking stones that help to perfect the bread for GRF consumption. While enjoying the company of SSF yesterday I decided to photograph what might be the blue ribbon winner of all PB&Js. Here is the ingredients, Catfisher's fresh baked bread from home ground whole wheat flour being the foundation for the excellence of it all. These jars of jelly came from the Strawberry Farm just off I 75 at the Omega exit. The rustic little store is at the edge of the strawberry field where in May you can get the finest strawberries known to man. The lady that sold me the jelly, made the jelly and put it up in these jars you see. We had one of blackberry and one of strawberry. While the label deteriorated in the ice in the cooler, I think the peanut butter is Jif creamy.

First the slicing of the bread, photo by SSF.

Next SSF spread the PB.

And then the jelly, SSF chose the strawberry.

Then at lest the finished product. After consumption, SSF said what many have said before him, "Best I ever had, I think the bread makes the difference."
Last edited by Blackwater on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby sumtershoaliefan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:34 am

The bread really did make the difference. I believe I had two!

SSF
sumtershoaliefan
2007 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby waderjon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

I can allmost smell that bread baking right now...Ummm :D
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Rather B. Fishin' » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 pm

I thought ya'll were "roughing" it.

Blackwater you really have a knack for making a seemingly uninteresting story into a literary delight. Thanks!
Go BIG or go home!
Rather B. Fishin'
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby timbo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 am

My mom used to bake wheat bread at home, too. There is no better bread in the world. I would make sandwiches with natural (no additives) p'nut butter she would buy at the health food store. Would really like to taste your wife's bread sometime, Bill. Would be a good excuse to go fishing.
timbo
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby FishingAddict » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:06 am

That just made me hungry. a good wheat bread with b pand j is a well kept secreat!
I don't give a darn about any man who can only spell a word one way.

Mark Twain
FishingAddict
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby catfish Hunter » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:33 pm

:D I would like to place an order for 2 PB&J to go please. :)

Those look dang good.

Your wife has some skills that many do not possess or care to learn anymore. That is a special lady.
A bad day fishing is better than any good day at work.
catfish Hunter
Dink

Postby shoalieman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Let the Crimson Tide eat 'em just before they play LSU!!!
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby jjohnson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:44 am

shoalieman wrote:Let the Crimson Tide eat 'em just before they play LSU!!!

There is a health food store here in Augusta that has a little sandwich and wrap shop in it. They serve a sandwich made with special bread and it has peanut butter and honey and then they grill it like you would a grilled cheese sandwich. That is also one tasty sandwich.
All of their food is organic and the peanut butter is what they make there.
jjohnson
Guthooked

Looks Great!

Postby orey10m » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Wow I love a good PB &J. I eat one or more everyday, gotta have wheat bread too. Only thing missing is some Cutco knives! Has anybody on here heard of Cutco?

and by the way, I caught about 5 or 6 today, a mixture of White bass and Crappie. I'm on here looking how to cook up the ones I catch tomorrow
orey10m
Dink

Postby otter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 pm

There is nothing better than homemade bread and nothing better than a pbj. Jif has a new pnb called Jif Natural. it's not organic but it is good
otter
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby oosik » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Who would have thought you could make a story about pb&j so inspiring. Makes me want one right now. And I agree with shoalieman Roll-Tide!!
Rangers lead the way!!!
oosik
Stumpknocker

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!