What size Bream worth taking home?

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

What size Bream worth taking home?

Postby terryg » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:54 pm

I'm fairly new to fishing for Bream and was wondering what size you all consider worth taking home? My wife is Asian (Philippines), doesn't like them filleted (if there's no head, its not a real fish!) and according to her, any size is good enough :D

Terry
terryg
Turtle on a Log

Postby waderjon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:03 pm

She is right Terry...Just about any size is good but I generally
dont keep the really small ones...Fried up nice and crispy..
Aint nothing like it...
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Blackwater » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:24 pm

I keep and cook them all. You eat a bean? So if they are as big as a bean then they are ok. I think the smaller the better. When they are small enough to eat the whole thing minus head scales & entrails then thats my favorite
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby AltamahaJones » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Terry, I do love to catch the biggun's 8-10 inches, but the smaller ones are great for eating especially if you are not fileting them. If I'm fishing for supper I'll keep the 5-8 inch fish and release the bigger ones. Lately I've been having a hard time even catch those. Mrs Jones asked me to bring home a mess last Sat and I was happy to give it my best shot. I had a pretty good day the day before but what I caught Sat I would have needed to pen them up and fatten them up.
AltamahaJones
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby terryg » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Man, you guys are great (and fast too)! I don't feel so bad now about keeping them. I wasn't sure if I would be laughed at when I pulled up to the takeout and had a stringer full of small ones.

Thanks!!!!!

Terry
terryg
Turtle on a Log

Postby bigfloyd » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:43 pm

I keep them when their as big as my hand. Some people throw them in a blender and make bream patties kinda like salmon patties.
bigfloyd
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby kokosing lover » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:15 am

For me, the just about right size is the size of my hand (fingers included). Smaller than that, I don't like messing around with cleaning them, and with sunfish I've never seen the point in bothering to fillet even the big ones. The whole point of sunfish (as we yankees call "bream") is to cook them whole (sans head) and peel the meat off the bones. Better flavor and an excuse to get your hands dirty while eating.
kokosing lover
Hornyhead

Postby breamskeeper » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:48 am

i agree with balckwater 100%(hence my name). it don't matter how big they are, they still have a big taste. i've fished strictly for bream my whole life and if that little fish has a tail it's worth keeping. deep fry them little fish and eat that tail, and you will surely know why God placed bream on this earth. they are a delight to eat and a lot of fun to catch, especially on a ultra-light with 2 lb. test line. as a matter of fact it was a little asian guy that got me hooked on bream when i was a little kid. i was at clayton college and state university watching him pluck bream out with a cane pole. i was amazed at how many fish he was catching, he saw me and told me to come over and gave me the pole and the rest was history, and i never saw him again.
Babe, my line just dried up. Can I go fishing again?
breamskeeper
Dink

Postby Blackwater » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:20 am

Here is a link to an old post that shows you what it is all about. I will take a bream about thumbsize, fry it crisp and eat it all in one bite like a potato chip.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/v ... shoalieboy
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby waderjon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:25 am

Thanks BWB...Now Im hungry...Guess whats for dinner at my house
tonight...I just remembered I got a mess in the freezer...

BK...I'll call ya when there ready...Surely you will be patroling
my neighborhood about that time :wink:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby breamskeeper » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:29 am

wj, you're a dog!!!! you know how much i love bream, and you want to invite me over the first night that i start my new shift. i'll be sleeping when you're eating. i start tonight, the 0000-0800 shift.
breamskeeper
Dink

Postby waderjon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:33 am

Awe thats to bad there BK :(
Maybe next time...
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby breamskeeper » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:45 am

man! blackwater posting those pics, wj teasing me with bream, my head is all scrambled now. look at my name. ya'll know i'm a fanatic, and i can't stand this teasing. that's it. tonight there's going to be a patrol car parked next to my honeyhole(you know where wj) and i'm going to be sinking a panther martin. you may ask, where are you going to put the fish? in my cooler full of ice that i carry around with water,and just in case if there's a fish finnin me down for help.
breamskeeper
Dink

Postby waderjon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:11 am

BK you are just to much man :lol:
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby catfish Hunter » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Bream about palm to full hand sized are keepers for me, anything smaller winds up as bait for catfish. Hook them through the back and gut slice em so the entrails are hanging out a bit. Nothing like a wounded baitfish leaving a blood trail for Mr. Whiskers.

Here kitty kitty. :lol:
A bad day fishing is better than any good day at work.
catfish Hunter
Dink

Next

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!