frying fish

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

frying fish

Postby drycreek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 am

I been cooking fish since I was three years old. Here lately, seems the corn meal won't stay on the brim when they cook.
Any suggestions? Maybe it never did, and I just ate them so quick I didn't notice.
I will go fishing today. Redwing blackbirds do not sing on tombstones. wa
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Re: frying fish

Postby nielson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

I suspect your oil is either too hot or too cold -- it needs to be just right.
You might try dipping the fish in Elmer's glue or library paste before applying the breading mixture and let it dry for 24 hours before frying.

Let us know how this works out. Your pal, Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nokinrocks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am

Oil temperature? That's just plain silly.
"wind from the north, stay home, of courth." — Blackwater Bill

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nielson » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 am

"Oil temperature? That's just plain silly."

That's the point. However, please take note of Step 5 at link below. Apparently, Melanie doesn't think it's silly and I understand she's not one who takes criticism very well. Lastly, given the number of websites that have something to say about this issue, drycreek should take some small comfort knowing that he isn't the only one unable to figure this out. YPJ

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50926 ... en-frying/
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nokinrocks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:09 pm

nielson wrote:"Oil temperature? That's just plain silly."

That's the point. However, please take note of Step 5 at link below. Apparently, Melanie doesn't think it's silly and I understand she's not one who takes criticism very well. Lastly, given the number of websites that have something to say about this issue, drycreek should take some small comfort knowing that he isn't the only one unable to figure this out. YPJ

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50926 ... en-frying/

Calling out oil temperature and not the obvious, paste and glue, was kind of silly, no? or was that sarcasm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding can be lacking in some people - wikipedia

Oh, I agree, it is probably his oil temperature....

A guy on the train was reading a dictionary and saying the words out loud "...someplace....Somerset....Somesuch..." He must have been up to something.
nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Blackwater » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:16 pm

I cook bream in peanut oil with corn flour as the breader and make sure the oil is maybe at least 330 but better about 350 before dropping them in the oil. If the oil is too cool whatever breader you use won't stick well. If you don't have a thermometer drop a paper match into the oil as it is heating up and when the the temperature is perfect for dropping in the fish the match will strike laying on the bottom of the pan in the oil and make a bubbling noise for a second. "Bluuup", when you hear that match go "Bluuup"start droppping them in and try to hold the temperature pretty close to that setting.

A lack of moisture on the fish when breaded can cause the breader to turn loose also. Outside of fish should be moist when breaded.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby drycreek » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 pm

could be the temp. I been sort of "wingin it" since my thermometer sprouted legs and moved to DC to become a politician. It had a lot of built up grease already, thereby passing over the "lawyer phase" of professional politicians.

Seriously, I think its the temperature.
I will go fishing today. Redwing blackbirds do not sing on tombstones. wa
drycreek
Fried Jack Fish

Postby nokinrocks » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:03 am

Blackwater wrote:I cook bream in peanut oil with corn flour as the breader and make sure the oil is maybe at least 330 but better about 350 before dropping them in the oil. If the oil is too cool whatever breader you use won't stick well. If you don't have a thermometer drop a paper match into the oil as it is heating up and when the the temperature is perfect for dropping in the fish the match will strike laying on the bottom of the pan in the oil and make a bubbling noise for a second. "Bluuup", when you hear that match go "Bluuup"start droppping them in and try to hold the temperature pretty close to that setting.

A lack of moisture on the fish when breaded can cause the breader to turn loose also. Outside of fish should be moist when breaded.

Blackwater- Do you use peanut oil for all your frying? I have started using it exclusively because it seems to do better than the standard vegetable oil.

nokinrocks
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Blackwater » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 pm

it's my favorite
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby paddler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Nielson thanks for the article. I learned something from it. Thought your post was funny.
paddler
Dink

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!