on the bed

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

on the bed

Postby crawdadcraig » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:08 pm

Dang, Spring came early this year. I live on a fifty acre lake just full of big bluegill (still can't get used to calling the brim). The pre-spawn has been incredible and now they're starting to bed already a monthe earlier than normal. I don't care how serious of a fisherman you are, you never tire of catching these crazy fish. Just as my Hairy Fodder and Shimmy Fish are proving to be the one, two punch for shoal bass, my Wee Willie Wiggler and M & M are the two "go to flies" for pan fish. I'll take on live bait with them. Easiy to tie, easy to use.

crawdadcraig
Massive Etowah Striper

Re: on the bed

Postby HiCountry » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Those are some pretty flies! and nice fish too.
HiCountry
Stumpknocker

Postby Blackwater » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Two bluegills and a shellcracker. Nice fish, nice fies.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby crawdadcraig » Tue May 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Anyone interested in big bluegill should head down to Calloway Gardens. I was there just the other day and got at least thirty of these beauties on a three weight.

crawdadcraig
Massive Etowah Striper

Postby otter » Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Those are good looking flys and beautiful fish. You know down here (S. Ga.)we can't even spell it right--they are Brim. We do call a Shellcracker by its name, but crappie are "white perch," and back in the fifties large mouth bass were called "trout." Actually any pan fish besides a white perch or war mouth may be simply regarded as a "Brim." Regardless of the name I wouldn't want to take you on in a "pan fish" contest with live bait if you were using those flys you tied. Probably be foolish to take you on even if you let me use your flys. Appreciate your contribution to the world of fishing and thanks for the post and pictures.
otter
Massive Etowah Striper

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!