Catfish stew

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

Catfish stew

Postby MarkGelbart » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 am

Here's my recipe for catfish stew. It's based on one I had at a restaurant owned by Pat Dye. It was described as the best catfish stew you'll ever eat. No, it's not. The best catfish stews I ever ate are the ones I made myself. Incidentally, Pat Dye's restaurant served old fashioned grits with cracklings, and hushpuppies as appetizers. Cracklings melt like butter in grits.

Start with a freshly caught catfish of about 3 pounds.

Filet the catfish and put the filets aside til later.

Boil the skeleton for about a half hour in 1 quart of water to make a fish stock. You can use water instead of stock but the stew won't be as rich.

Fry 6 pieces of bacon in the bottom of a pot. Remove the bacon when crispy and add 1 large chopped onion to the grease. Sautee the onion til soft. Add about 3 chopped potatoes, the quart of fish stock, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of chili powder or half and half chili powder and paprika. This gives the stew an appetizing red color. When the potatoes are almost done, add the fish filets. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Crumble up the bacon and add that to the stew and serve.
MarkGelbart
Needle Nose Gar

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!