Red Beans & Rice

Come here to discuss fishing for all types of panfish and catfish. We also want to hear your favorite fish recipes too!

Moderators: sumtershoaliefan, kokosing lover

Red Beans & Rice

Postby Titaniumman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Here is my version of the Cajun Dish, Red Beans & Rice, that I served at our Fourth of July party.

(6) 16 ounce cans Bush's Dark Red Kidney Beans
(1) 28 ounce can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
(1) 28 ounce can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes
(1) Package Eckridge Smoked Sausage
(1) Clove of Garlic
(1) Very Large Vidalia Onion (if not available, use a similar yellow onion)
(1) Very Large Green Bell Pepper
Fresh Parsley
Salt
Black Pepper
Red Pepper

A large pot of fluffy white long grain rice. (Make sure you make enough rice. That was my one big mistake at our party - not enough rice.)

With a thin bladed knife like a steak knife, cut a circle around the stem of the bell pepper. Pull out the stem and seed pods. Slice the pepper in two from the top to the bottom. Rinse out any remaining seeds and pinch or cut out all of the pale inner fins. Slice as much as possible of the pepper into quarter inch wide strips. Cut the strips into approximately one inch long pieces. Chop up remainder of the pepper into similar sized pieces.

Clean and chop up the onion into fairly good sized pieces.

Clean and chop up the garlic into small pieces, enough for one to two tablespoons.

Chop up enough parsley leaves for two tablespoons. (Dried parsley flakes is a forgivable sin.)

Slice the sausage into large bite sized, irregualar angular pieces.

Pour three of the cans of red beans with the liquid into a large pot. Drain and add the beans of the other three cans to the pot. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, parsley, and smoked sausage to the pot.

Simmer until the bell pepper, onion, and garlic are thoroughly soft. If the pot is not teflon coated, make sure to stir frequently to prevent sticking and burning. Salt, black pepper, and red pepper to taste while simmering.

Place a mound of rice in a bowl for each person and ladel red beans mixture over it. Don't share any of your bowl.
I dream of a better tomorrow in which chickens may cross roads with no fear their motive is in question.
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to Bream Fishin', Catfishin', and Cookin' Em Up!