alapaha river

Come here to discuss Georgia waters below the fall line (Columbus-Macon-Augusta)!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

alapaha river

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 am

Went down and looked at Alapaha river last month while I was in the area. Would anybody down that way know about the float above Statenville. Looked it up and looks like a 14 mile float to the put in above there. Looks like a overnight trip. Wondering about the fishing in this area and when would be a good time to try it?
stumpjumper
Needle Nose Gar

Re: alapaha river

Postby Blackwater » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:13 am

14 miles of the Alapaha would be overnight for sure or just a paddle. You better find some locals thats not an area frequented by anybody I know of. The main issue would be blow downs and strainers I would think. Snakes and bugs. Amount of water may be an issue.
Last edited by Blackwater on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for the relpy, GOing to try to find info from someone local.
stumpjumper
Needle Nose Gar

Postby fly chunker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Id like to say hi to everyone, im new here and im gonna try to do this the best way i know, I live in Sylvester and have always wanted to fish the alapaha river but dont know anything about it. can someone tell me where would be the best place to put in a jon boat to fish for a day. im familar with some of the bridges , and have wondered where would be best
fly chunker
Pollywog

Postby Blackwater » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm

I am glad you are going to try but I don't know that river at all. Sorry.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Hope somebody will give you some info. I never could get any. I went down and fished at Quest Mill pond near homerville this past weekend and tryed to get some info but no one would really talk about it.
stumpjumper
Needle Nose Gar

Postby Blackwater » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:04 am

Sumtershoaliefan fished the Alapaha one day and caught some mudfush and two jacks as I recall. Lots of blowdowns depending on how far upriver you go.

I just checked the guage near Statenville, water.69ft. 3 percentile. That's very low for anything but wading.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby the-bass-catcher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 pm

I know the river is a tributary to the Suwannee River. It does hold some Suwannee bass, but they are very few and far between according to articles and DNR reports I've read. At very low flows, it might be better to wet wade it. If you could find some deeper holes in the river, you might find some sunfish, mudfish, gar, and maybe a bass or two. Wish I could help y'all more but I'm a North Georgian. Good luck! :)
-Andrew, TBC
the-bass-catcher
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Blackwater » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 pm

I crossed the Alapaha near Stetenville yesterday and it is as low as I could imaging it. I don't think you could paddle there now.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the info. Will put this trip off to maybe next year.
stumpjumper
Needle Nose Gar

Postby coltday » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 pm

I am new to the forum, so hello all! I was raised fishing the Alapaha, mainly around Willacoochee. Years ago, the Alapaha was a GREAT place for red breast, bass, and channel cats. However, after quite a few years of drought, the water stayed very low and reduced the numbers of fish. BUT, there are still fish there! The best way to fish it is to wade fish. The way I have always done is is with a ultra light reel an rod, a pocket full of extra beetlespins with black/yellow, brown/black and white with red dot, and a stringer tied to my belt loop. We've caught as many as 40 keepers on one trip just walking the rivers throwing to the deep banks. Also, crickets will increase your chances for sure, but is more of a hassle with rebaiting as the shad will suck one off in a heartbeat. The bass are still there, deep holes with plastics, and bang'o lures in spring/summer can produce some very fiesty bass, especially jigger poling up under the trees. We always catfished when the water was up, but still in the banks. Find a good eddy pocket with trash and drop a worm down right beside the boat.

I have only canoed from Willacoochee to Mud Creek (Berrien Beach). It was an overnighter, but we fished a good bit and weren't in a rush. The river was a little too low at the time so we had to do some dragging due to down trees and sandbars. If I can be of any assisstance, let me know!
coltday
Pollywog

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I`ll try to get back with you next spring. Maybe we can give it a try together then. I`am trying to do a little hunting now.
stumpjumper
Needle Nose Gar

Postby Alapaha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 pm

To update this thread... The Alapaha aught to be right for boating now. You still need to expect obstacles in the river. Travel light with your boat. As for fishing, We lead line crickets for red breast. I like to put a buck shot sinker about 3 inches above the hook and work the cricket around structure. With that weight being so close to the hook , it doesnt hang up as much, as I am sure you know. the best places for you to put in would probably be the hwy. 129 bridge between Alapaha and Ocilla, the hwy 82 bridge just east of Alapaha, although I am pretty sure it is all jammed up below the bridge around what we call Solomon's Bluff ( great fishing around this one if you can get through here), the hwy. 135 bridge below willacoochee, or the hwy 168 bridge between Nashville and Homerville. These are the best ones that I know of. Most of the local access that we use is private land. (The area between 135 and 168 would be a great float trip) I would be glad to help you out any way I can.
youngest son of "Gatorfoot" The Alapaha River Guru
R.I.P Gatorfoot 1932 - 2013
Alapaha
Fried Jack Fish

Return to South Georgia