Best tourist set-up for Watson-Mill Bridge area?

Come here to discuss Georgia waters above the fall line (Columbus-Macon-Augusta)!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Best tourist set-up for Watson-Mill Bridge area?

Postby Smiiithy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 am

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and am from Northumberland, England where I do quite a bit of fly fishing for (stocked) rainbow and brown trout and have done a little bit of spinning on the cost for mackerel and such.

In June I will be doing a road trip accross the Deep South with my partner Cheryl. One of our first stops (for a couple of days) is at Watson Mill Bridge State Park.

I was thinking of buying a telescopic spinning rod which I could take with me on the plane. We are packing very light so I wondered if anyone has any advice on what minimalist equipment set-up I should consider for a casual couple of hours fishing from the bank or boat?

After this we will be heading across Tennessee, down the Mississippi Delta, through Louisiana and along coastal Alabama / the Florida panhandle before heading back to Orlando. If I get the chance to cast a rod again in any of these places I will!

Where exactly we are going in Tennessee is TBC but it's likely to be a few days near to the national park before heading through Nashville and Memphis. In Mississippi we are staying in Clarksdale before heading through Vicksburg and Natchez and on to New Orleans.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Mike
Smiiithy
Pollywog

Re: Best tourist set-up for Watson-Mill Bridge area?

Postby Streamer101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 am

Hi Mike!
Sounds like a fun trip. I only use a fly rod, so a spinning setup is a little out of my practice.

A lite to ultra-lite set up should work on the panfish you would find in Watson Mill Bridge State Park. As for the other places not sure.

Remember to get your fishing license.

Have a wonderful trip!
Streamer101
Pollywog

Postby Smiiithy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:20 am

Thanks Streamer.

Do you know if I am likely to find small catfish and bass at Watson Mill Bridge in the summer?
Smiiithy
Pollywog

Postby Streamer101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:24 am

over on the Georgia outdoor news forum, I found this:

"The river at Watson Mill State Park can get low during the summer months. However, there are some small holes there where you can pull out some small bass. It's fun on ultralight rigs. The park is a nice place for a quick getaway. What's unique about the bass in that river is that it is of the Bartram's variety. Bartram's are an unconfirmed species and are similar to redeye bass. Scientists are currently doing studies to distinguish the two. You won't catch any monsters, but the fish are beautiful. " by Bruiser
I hope this helps.
Streamer101
Pollywog

Postby Texag » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Welcome to the states. On tackle, rather than a spinning rig, bring a short, 8'-6" or less 4 piece 4 weight. Across the south you can have a lot of fun in the small water with top water bugs and nymphs. Casting is about placement as most water is overhung and the farthest you will have to throw it is 30'. If you are just bound on a spinning rig, I have a couple of Shakespeare ultralights that work fine but they are longer than a broken down four. They can be picked up relatively cheaply here so yo could fly in and then buy. If you decide to fish on the coast, hire a guide. Especially inshore around Louisiana, they will provide the tackle and put you on the fish. And, like the previous respondent said, get a license. Each state has one and they also don't cost much for a two or three day visitor. Most of them you can get on line. Tight lines!
Texag
Pollywog

Return to North Georgia