New to the site- in Macon, new but interested in fly fishing

A forum devoted to new member introductions and welcomes!

Moderator: sumtershoaliefan

New to the site- in Macon, new but interested in fly fishing

Postby camwisegamgee » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:43 pm

Hey! New to the site, from Macon but just bought a house a few months ago and looking for spots to fish.
Anyone know a good spot to fly fish on the Ocmulgee? Just branching out to it from my baitcasters/spinning gear and am finally ready to try it out on the water for the first time.

Where are the Ocmulgee shoal bass?
camwisegamgee
Pollywog

Re: New to the site- in Macon, new but interested in fly fis

Postby dennis the fish menace » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:36 am

Welcome to GRF. A good place to try fly fishing is behind the dam at Juliette. You just might land a nice Shoslie :mrgreen:
"Fear God and give him glory, for his time has come to sit in judgement" Rev. 14: 7
dennis the fish menace
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Blackwater » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:36 pm

welcome. Ocmulgee shoal bass like rocks and moving water. Don't think any water is too fast for them because it is not. Probable best to learn their habits and whereabouts with hard baits unless If you are an accomplished fly fisherman.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Rwmullis79 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:32 pm

I caught some nice one's between Jackson Lake and the DNR Canoe/Kayak take out a few miles south. There's a public Georgia Power access just below the dam and the DNR takeout that you could probably use to access some of the shoals at lower water. I don't know how they schedule dam releases, but I've heard it can raise water a good bit. I'd get a canoe/kayak/float to get to more shoals.

Also, checkout Sprewell Bluff park on the Flint out by Thomaston, Ga. Probably best place to acces the largest stretch of shoals without any type of boat. I'd suggest taking the hiking trail out to the river since the main area gets pretty congested with swimmers.
Rwmullis79
Pollywog

Return to New Members: Introduce Yourselves!