New to Kayaks -- Taylorsville, GA

A forum devoted to new member introductions and welcomes!

Moderator: sumtershoaliefan

New to Kayaks -- Taylorsville, GA

Postby jcarleto » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:29 am

My wife and I bought a couple of Predator MX kayaks last summer, but have only just started seriously getting used to them. We've done a few sections of the Lower Etowah, a bit of Cedar Creek and made a few trips to Antioch and Heath lakes above Rome. So far, we really like the kayaks and are getting better with them each time we go out. I think I have finally stopped falling out of mine. :oops:

We have done most of our fishing down in South Florida and can fish pretty well in the Keys, Gulf or Gulfstream as well as in the lower Everglades. It is quite different up here though, and we haven't got a very respectable record so far. Slowly but surely, we seem to be catching on, but it will be a process.

The Lower Etowah is most convenient to us, so we will probably focus on that as a staple. Any suggestions on technique, tackle, seasons, temperatures, generating on/off or other Lower Etowah lore will be appreciated.
jcarleto
Pollywog

Re: New to Kayaks -- Taylorsville, GA

Postby Blackwater » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:26 pm

If you can figure out the release schedule at Allatoona you can catch some big spotted bass in the Etowah. Big Cedar is good for bream. Coosa in Alabama is great for crappie this time of year in the river above Lake Weiss..
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Dirk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:40 am

The lower Etowah (and Big Cedar) are also home to many Striped Bass during spawning run and in the warmer months (June-Sept) infact the lower E it is one of the best summer striped bass rivers in the country. They are tough to catch with lures but it can be done with Shad Imitator type lures, especially right at dawn and just before dark. Live bait works best for Stripers but hard to manage that with Kayaks. Fresh cutbait shad/herring or trout works too. If you are interested in catching Stripers there are some very detailed reports in the Linesides section. They tend to hang out in current breaks and below blow-downs (trees & logs) where the water is 4+ feet deep. Cast a swimbait, jerkbait, or crankbait that looks like a shad in these areas and you might get your drag tested... If you pitch a live shad in these areas your success rate will go wayyy up (StriperSoup store in Acworth has everything, including shad, that you need for striper fishing).

Welcome aboard and good luck.
I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do. –Leonardo da Vinci
Dirk
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby jcarleto » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:21 am

Ah, thanks. I was wondering what to do about shad. I am a terror with a cast net, and can still throw my old 16' mullet net that I used in Florida...or a smaller one if best. Knowing WHERE to throw it is the ticket. If I can just go buy some, that's good for starters.

Just a stupid question: What difference does the generating schedule make in catching spotted bass? It seems now they are generating 24/7.
jcarleto
Pollywog

Postby Blackwater » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:13 am

Lower Etowah is a lot easier to fish when they are not generating, water lower, more accessible. Most rivers in Georgia are blow out to some degree right now but many are falling and have a chance to be more fishable soon. Go over to Coosa then into Ball Play Creek right now is the best time of year to catch the crappie over there in large numbers.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby jcarleto » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Blackwater:

Thanks, I may give that a try. I'd like to catch some Crappie. Tried some at Heath Lake, with no joy.
jcarleto
Pollywog

Return to New Members: Introduce Yourselves!