New guy

A forum devoted to new member introductions and welcomes!

Moderator: sumtershoaliefan

New guy

Postby 94Snake » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 pm

New to the forums, not the area, I live in Lakeland (near Valdosta), basically just seeing if I could learn how to fish these south GA waters. I'm military and have been stationed here for almost 13 years (long time, I know). I grew up fishing in WV, the streams and rivers there run clear with sandstone bottoms, I could pull rock bass and smallmouth for days out of there. I just can't figure these waters out (or they're just so over fished there isn't anything left). I take my wife and kids out, they enjoy it, but again fishing is slow. My family and I mostly practice catch and release, we haven't yet kept any fish but we've thought about attempting a fish fry at some point. So my stomping grounds are Banks Lake, Alapaha River, Little River (Hahira), Reed Bingham, and Grassy Pond. I haven't attempted Ray's Mill pond because from what I hear, it's nothing but pads and grass. Best luck we've had has been Grassy Pond, so I'm hoping to learn some tricks and maybe pass along what little I've learned here. Thanks!
94Snake
Pollywog

Re: New guy

Postby Blackwater » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 pm

I crossed the Alapaha at Lakeland yesterday and there was maybe 8 or 9 trailers at the ramp. I told my wife that the red breast must be biting. To fish the Little RIver and on down where it becomes the Withlacoochee, or the Alapaha you need a boat. Cast small diving plug (Rebel makes one about 1 inch long) and you can catch BIG red breast this time of year with the water down. AT Banks, Reed Bingham or Grassy Pond, I would try some bait or either top water lures. All of those can be fished from the bank. Paradise PFA up at Brookfield might be a good spot for you as well. It is family oriented.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Re: New guy

Postby 94Snake » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 am

hey I appreciate the reply, went night fishing just last night, only caught one small catfish, at Banks lake I've got bass on a black worm, Grassy pond I've caught an assortment of fish on jitterbugs, suspending Rapalas, flukes, and black ribbon tail worms. My friends and I've have hooked into some huge Gar on the little river, I've found a couple deep holes around there, also caught a decent sized Bowfin on some cut up fish. Banks lake this year has overgrown with weeds again.
94Snake
Pollywog

Return to New Members: Introduce Yourselves!