New to Georgia

A forum devoted to new member introductions and welcomes!

Moderator: sumtershoaliefan

New to Georgia

Postby shaneparker » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:33 am

Hello
I am new to Georgia and live in Perry. I used to live in Huntsville, Alabama. I love fishing river and creeks. In Huntsville there is a river that has smallmouth bass. I would float it about every week during spring and summer. I am looking for a similar place near Perry. I am looking forward to catching a Shoal bass. I have never caught one. Any help I would appreciate. I have a kayak and my main target will be large, smallmouth and shoal bass.
Shane
shaneparker
Pollywog

Re: New to Georgia

Postby nielson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:31 am

Welcome! And boy, you're in luck being in Perry as you have two great SB rivers within 50-60 miles. But that's not all. If I'm not mistaken Perry or very nearby, is the home of a guy by the screen name of Shoalieman here at GRF who is the undisputed guru of all things shoal bass, not to mention a pretty good guy. You'll need to link up with him.
Again, welcome to GRF. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Blackwater » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:34 am

welcome friend, you are close to the heart of shoalie waters. Connect with Shoalieman, he will show you the generalities but not the specific places, he only goes to those alone and takes no man, only a dog.
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

"But hey Pappy, they integrated!'" Jr to Pappy O''Daniel
Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby nielson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:41 am

By the way, Shane, Blackwater is no slouch either for putting people on shoal bass but I don't think he lives as near to you as shoalieman. While I'm at it, there's plenty of other folks as well in middle GA near you that can do the same. Jim
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Riverpirate » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Give me a shout when you want to go.
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shaneparker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks, for the help everyone would like to meet all of you. Thanks for the Invite Riverpirate. Will have to take you up on that one day. Two questions, what areas are considered the lower Flint River and when is the best time to fish the Flint.

Shane
shaneparker
Pollywog

Postby Blackwater » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:27 pm

Generally the water below the Crisp Power dam at Cordele to the start of Lake Seminole is considered lower Flint. Fall winter and spring are the best seasons to fish the Flint but you also need to consider the water level and clarity first. Safety is an issue with high water and the fish bite best when the water is below average flow and the clarity is good. Right now through May is an excelleent season to fish.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shaneparker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Ok. Do you know if north of Cooks Landing Rd is a good place to catch shoal bass? Also, are these other drop off locations any good 96 Hwy and 128 Hwy.
shaneparker
Pollywog

Postby Blackwater » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:14 pm

I think those are middle Flint locations which if so, the Middle Flint is not recommended as a hot spot for Shoalies. Look at GA Highway 18 abd follow the flow from there down to US Hwy 19 & 80. That is generally referred to as Upper Flint and ranges from good to execllent shoal bass fishing. From GA Highway 19 & 80 down through Lake Blackshear is Middle Flint and is a piedmont type river not well for shoalies. Then. look for the dam on Lake Blackshear and know that from below that dam all teh way to the head of Lake Seminole is the lower Flint and except for the impounded water behin dth dam at Albany, is exellent for shoalies in teh right habitat, rocky shoals which prevalent throught out that flow. If I were in Perry, I would be stting my sights on fishing below the dam at Warwick to Hwy 32, or below the dam at Albany to the Marine Ditch. You need to study teh guages and go when the water is the best level. Hook up with the guys that fish these areas and go with them a few times and soon you will be answering these questions for the next newbie. Try Shoalieman, Sumtershoaliefan, River Pirate, and . you see posting here occasionally. Unofrtunately high water will stimey you now for at least the next 2-3 weeks.Good luck.

Blackwater
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to New Members: Introduce Yourselves!