The great Amazon adventure!

Believe it or not, other states have rivers with fish in them, too! Discuss other folks' fishing holes here!

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Postby waderjon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:00 pm

Now thats a awesome adventure guys..Excellent report and pics John.
A trip to remember for sure.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson
waderjon
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby basshead » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03 am

Awesome! Makes me want to go back! Thanks for the report and keep us posted on info for next years trip.
basshead
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Creekstalker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:18 am

(I don't have the words to describe how awesome that trip looks or how insanely jealous I am!)

CS
Creekstalker
Site Admin

Postby TyGa10 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Forgive me for not posting sooner but John did a good job with his post. I have no doubt that the oxbows we went to will produce better results later in the dry season.
Where we did find them it was a blast. Seldom was it one peacock after your lure but more likely 2 or 3 fighting over it. I recall a couple of times setting the hook and missing, with my lure traveling 10 feet in the air and the same peacock would nail it as it hit back in the water.

John, Drew, and I had a great week together. Fishing, bank talk, and searching out the different oxbows made for an extraordinary week.
Mike, Amazon River Runner, and his guides were everything we could ask for.

It is safe to say that all 3 of us are looking forward to another trip to the Amazon jungle in Peru.

Here are a few pics and I'll try not to duplicate to many of what John posted.

A few of the Peruvian people who were all very nice to us

TyGa10
Dink

Postby sleepy52 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks for a beautiful report!

I've wandered the highlands and coast of Peru on three occasions, but never had a chance to get down into the Amazon lowlands, much less to wet a line. :(

It surely seems that you found what I did - leave the city anywhere in the world and people - even when life is hard - are warm, welcoming and love to smile and share!

Supplemental to lodge fees, tips etc., consider making a group contribution to childhood education - either bring stuff (books, paper, crayons,...), or cash. Especially if made at public gatherings, it actually gets where it should - and can make a huge difference for a few kids.

The first time I heard howlers, I thought it was panthers screaming at the entrance to ancient Mayan ruins! :oops:

Oh yeah - nice fish, too! If you have an open seat for a fly flinger on a future trip,... :D
sleepy52
Turtle on a Log

Previous

Return to Out-of-State Locales