Upper Flint Outing

Here's the place to discuss anything Georgia, river, or fishing-related! This is the busiest part of the board, so if you don't know where to go or need a quick answer, try here first.

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Upper Flint Outing

Postby shoalieman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:30 am

A small handful of us will be camping at T-Man's on FRI night 30 OCT and SAT 31 OCT 2015. I know it's Halloween, but I don't think the fish care too much. Maybe a few of y'all want to join us? You know sitting around the campfire and telling stories on Halloween is extra fun.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Re: Upper Flint Outing

Postby Titaniumman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 pm

shoalieman wrote: I know it's Halloween, but I don't think the fish care too much.

Thanks, my very good friend, Shoalieman.
Hey! The fish do care!
I hear the shoal bass are coming dressed up as gar, cats, crockigators, dillas, spots, and who knows what else!
I'm cookin' up a huge pot of chili made over the firepit with brisket beef instead of hamburger meat with green peppers, Vidalia onions, red beans, black beans, masa flour, and countless other perfect ingredients.
Really, are we not way over due for a break?
Good friends, the Flint River, and good food in that order.
-T-
I dream of a better tomorrow in which chickens may cross roads with no fear their motive is in question.
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby HiCountry » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:05 am

Boy howdy, that sounds like great fun right there!
HiCountry
Stumpknocker

Postby Titaniumman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:47 pm

Well come on out!
I dream of a better tomorrow in which chickens may cross roads with no fear their motive is in question.
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Riverpirate » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:27 am

I will try and make it.
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby Titaniumman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Your group of trees, "The Pirate's Cove", is calling out for a hammock.
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:03 pm

As long as the weather holds out, we'll still be camping on FRI & SAT nights 30 and 31 OCT 2015. Looking forward to this!
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman

Postby Titaniumman » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 am

Some of Shoalieman's friends haven't been here before, so here are the directions:

From the Upson County Courthouse in Thomaston:
Go south on Highway 19 (Church Street). About a mile or so south of the courthouse, the north bound lanes (Center Street) of Highway 19 come together with the south bound lanes (Church Street) to form a four lane highway.

After another mile or so, you will see Raintree Golf Course and Georgia Crescent (formerly Flint River) Technical College on your left.

Immediately after passing by Flint River Technical College, take the turning lane on your right with the brown “Big Lazer Creek Wildlife Management Area” sign and turn right onto the old highway 19, which is now known as Indian Trail.

Go about two miles on Indian Trail past Gordon School Road and Mathis Lake Road, and bear right onto Pobiddy Road, which has another brown “Big Lazer Creek Wildlife Management Area” sign.

Go about five miles on Pobiddy Road until you cross a small bridge, which has no sign, but is Potato Creek. As soon as you cross the bridge, turn right onto Adams Ferry Road, which also has no sign.

Adams Ferry Road is about two miles long, and has about 90 curves in it. About 30 yards or so before the pavement ends and you can see the river straight ahead, turn right onto the little road that goes over the small dam that holds back the small lake.

Follow the road down the hill and my property is a short distance ahead on the left with the camper and the bright tropical green boathouse on stilts.

Mail box and the now county required blue and white sign both say 1297.

From the Talbot County Courthouse in Talbotton:

Go east on Highway 80. A couple of blocks away from the courthouse, bear right to stay on Highway 80. Go about two miles and you will see a brown “Big Lazer Creek Wildlife Management Area” sign and a small fenced in concrete building on your right. Across from the concrete building, turn left onto Pobiddy Road.

After about twelve miles on Pobiddy Road, you will cross the Flint River. Another mile or so, turn left onto Adams Ferry Road just before the small Potato Creek Bridge.

Adams Ferry Road is about two miles long, and has about 90 curves in it. About 30 yards or so before the pavement ends and you can see the river straight ahead, turn right onto the little road that goes over the small dam that holds back the small lake.

Follow the road down the hill and my property is a short distance ahead on the left with the camper and the boathouse.

Mail box and the now county required blue and white sign both say 1297.
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalwalker » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Upgrading to high probability of coming. Hope it can happen.
shoalwalker
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Titaniumman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Good to hear, Shoalwalker.

I will be arriving Friday afternoon between 2pm and 3pm, depending on Atlanta traffic 'cause I'm cutting out at noon.

I'll cook chili starting Saturday morning, but I've got a big frozen thing of 8 thick pork chops stewed in tomato gravy with sliced Vidalia onions that I'll fast thaw for Friday evening. These are nothing less than awesome over a bed of long grain white rice that I'll steam.

I hear rumor that a certain menace of fish named Dennis may be making a cameo appearance Friday afternoon.

Where them good times gotta be? I do believe they're rolling.

-T-
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalwalker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:45 am

Carsonville gauge hasn't peaked yet. 2.10 feet at 10: a.m. Thursday. Griffin gauge peaked last night. Molina gauge looks like it peaked about an hour ago.

Water levels should be about back to normal by Saturday morning. A bit higher than normal butt-dragging level, thank goodness. Probably still gonna be stain.

Starting to get excited.
shoalwalker
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby shoalwalker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks to T-Man for being an outstanding host - as always.

The water level was perfect for Saturday's float from 36 back to T-man's property. Fishing was excellent just downstream from Yellow Jacket. Don't know how many I caught. 20 to 30 range with many missed strikes fishing a fluke on or near the top. Lulu caught 5 and missed many more also fishing the fluke.

Troy fought the devil fish and missed him on at least ten strikes. Todd had to catch it for him. LOL.

Great time. Great companionship. Only one fish harmed - a spot.
shoalwalker
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby nielson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:05 am

Sounds like you guys hit it at the right time -- good for you. YPJ
nielson
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:56 am

It was the best camping/fishing outing I've had in a long, long time. T-Man, Crawdad Craig, and myself stayed up and around the campfire until 3 AM FRI night. We were telling stories (talking about the Walking Dead show being filmed close by and on Halloween Weekend to boot) and I was laughing so hard I was crying---it was a blast and just what the Dr. ordered-----laughter doeth good like a medicine.
Cooler weather camping outings are the best---fewer bugs and better sleeping weather. I threw a huge tarp over the tent and slept like a baby SAT night because of the sound of the rain all night. The tarp worked great---I stayed completely dry.
It was great for all of us to meet a new friend named Todd who drove up from Florida and caught his first shoal bass. Hopefully, he'll come back in the spring time for more shoalie fishing.
SUN morning the coffee that T-Man brewed for us tasted awesome. BTW, T-Man's FRI nite chili was awesome and his SAT nite Cajun pork chops were super good.
Thanks T-Man for a fantastic weekend and thanks to the Lord above for creating something as beautiful as the upper Flint river :D .
shoalieman

Postby leo2332 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Heading over to Upper Flint this Halloween. Anyone still get together? Got some time off now that I have a manager taking over the day to day for my fence companies in Sacramento, and I've got hard working Rochester fence contractors that'll help ease the stress of being gone. We will see. Just want to take my son over there to fish. Looks like a fun time.

www.fencingwichitaks.com | www.fencingtampafl.com | www.fencinglexingtonky.com
leo2332
Pollywog

Return to General Discussion