Georgia Riverien Sport Fish

Here's the place to discuss anything Georgia, river, or fishing-related! This is the busiest part of the board, so if you don't know where to go or need a quick answer, try here first.

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

Georgia Riverien Sport Fish

Postby Riverpirate » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:59 pm

In case you did not know....thanks to all those who helped make this possible.....SB72 has passed. The Shoal Bass is now Specially recognized as Georgia's Riverine Sport Fish... #FlintRiverKeeper

The Georgia General Assembly finds that:
253 (1) The shoal bass has unique sporting qualities; occurs in abundance in the Flint,
254 Chattahoochee, and Ocmulgee rivers; and is dependent upon clean, flowing water;
255 (2) This unique native riverine sport fish moves dozens, and at times hundreds, of miles
256 to complete its spawning and other life stages and is therefore dependent upon long,
257 unobstructed segments of Georgia's rivers, in addition to high-quality shoal habitats;
258 (3) Both the hard rock formations of Georgia's piedmont region and the lime rock
259 formations of Georgia's coastal plain are important to this unique native riverine sport
260 fish, and important fishing and tourist economies are structured around this creature; and
261 (4) Georgia fishing has long been a tourism generator and internal economic engine. In
262 recent decades, Georgia's reputation for flowing water fishing has grown in national and
263 international recognition, and shoal bass are at the center of this burgeoning revenue
264 stream.
265 SECTION 8.
266 Article 3 of Chapter 3 of Title 50 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to state
267 symbols, is amended by adding a new Code section to read as follows:
268 "50-3-89.
269 The shoal bass (Micropterus cataractae) is designated as the official Georgia state native
270 riverine sport fish."
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Re: Georgia Riverien Sport Fish

Postby Riverpirate » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Sorry to report that I was wrong. Apparently Your legislators removed the part from SB 72 about the shoal bass.....I hate politicians....
I only envy those who catch more fish than me.-Issac Walton
Riverpirate
Green and Gold Thigh

Re: Georgia Riverien Sport Fish

Postby Bananaslug22 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 am

lol
Bananaslug22
Pollywog

Return to General Discussion