What Happened to the River Fishing Forums?

Here's the place to discuss anything Georgia, river, or fishing-related! This is the busiest part of the board, so if you don't know where to go or need a quick answer, try here first.

Moderators: shoalieman, sumtershoaliefan

What Happened to the River Fishing Forums?

Postby Snowbass23 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 am

Good morning to anyone that might stumble across this post! I feel like someone that wakes up at the end of a post-apocalyptic movie to find he's the last man on earth. I'm just curious what happened to the all of the River Fishing Forums that spawned off of GRF? I've been out of the US for 8 years (US Military) and things sure look different. I was stationed in Alabama and got really active in ARF during the mid to late 200's. Through ARF I found GRF and met some really nice folks and fished a few times with some of them. I moved to Alaska in 2010 and both boards were still going strong. I drifted away from ARF because of distance and a difference in personality with some of the louder types there. Now, this summer I'm looking at moving back into the states and wanted to come read up on old boards and trip reports. ARF seems non-existent except for the front page, dating back several years. But I'm shocked to see that GRF looks like it all but imploded too. Any idea what happened? I'd be happy with a PM giving me a sanitized version too, I'm not looking to start trouble or bring up hard feelings!! I'm honestly just shocked that what seemed like a really close community either blew up or migrated. I've done some google searches but don't see an obvious new home for all of the old GRF/ARF types.

SnowBass
Paddlin' a Prowler 13 for bream and bass
Snowbass23
Pollywog

Re: What Happened to the River Fishing Forums?

Postby CaseyB » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:54 am

Yeah, I've been lurking around here for a few months and was wondering the same thing. This place has a ton of information on it, shame for it to go to waste.

Now that I know at least 1 other person will read it :D , I may start a thread about the Appalachee-north of 441. I could use some help scouting.
CaseyB
Pollywog

Postby Duncan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 pm

Facebook killed most forums. It's a shame to. There is more give and take on a forum. Long threads and lots of information. Facebook has short threads and it scrolls through so you miss a lot. The young guys prefer facebook and the old guys prefer forums so that's the way it goes.

Duncan
Duncan Smith
Duncan
Pollywog

Postby Snowbass23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 am

Well, I definitely appreciate a response of any kind! Haha. So is there a certain facebook group everybody migrated to?

SnowBass
Paddlin' a Prowler 13 for bream and bass
Snowbass23
Pollywog

Postby Seminole Steve » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 am

Yeah, most of the action is on Facebook. Southern River Fishing has its own page, which is moderately active. They have closed their forum. I knew ARF was done. I did not know until today that GRF did not follow suit.
University of Alabama fans telling Auburn that they cheated is like Snookie telling Halle Berry that she is ugly. You just have to laugh.
- Charles Barkley
Seminole Steve
Green and Gold Thigh

Postby shoalieman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 pm

It'll be a very cold day in Hades before I join Facebook----I agree with Edward Snowden, it's a great way for Big Brother to get all up in your business.
BTW, there's good chance (river levels not too high) a few of us will be camping/fishing along the Upper Flint this weekend. Reply back here if interested, I'll check this thread later this week and I'll especially be checking on how much rainfall we get this week too.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman
2005 & 2006 GRF Angler Of The Year

Postby The General » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:23 am

As one of the original GRFers, I too miss it. Agree with what others said here, Facebook imploded forums. I also think so many different ones spawned off and it diluted the pool (imo).

That being said, the GRF community from the late 90s, early 2000s are some of my favorite fishing memories and I'm always glad to connect with folks.

As for Apalachee N of 441, let me know what you need and I'm glad to help.

Tight Lines,
The General
The General
2 Pound Mountain Redeye

Postby Volzfan59 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm with "shoalieman", I will never join Facebook. As retired law enforcement, if you don't think Facebook is looked at in investigations, your deceiving yourself. Just don't want big brother or anyone that I have "dealt with" in the past in my business.

I hate that Tennessee River Fishing went away. I miss it and the Alabama site. This place is good and I really enjoy learning here.

Hey Shoalieman, thanks for your suggestion about the Conasauga (sp?). My buddy actually bought a log cabin down that way, on the TN side of the boarder.
"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" Izaak Walton, author, The Compleat Angler 1653
Volzfan59
Pollywog

Postby shoalieman » Wed May 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Let's revive things by doing a camping/fishing event FRI 01 JUNE 2018 thru SUN 03 JUNE 2018 at T-Man's on the Upper Flint! I'll do a separate post with more detail in this same forum.
Romans 13:11-13: Another reason for right living is this: you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of the Lord is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is far gone, the day of his return will soon be here.
shoalieman

Postby shoalieman » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

If a handful of us start posting again, GRF will be back in good shape in short order. :D :D :D
shoalieman

Postby Volzfan59 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm

I'll check and see if that's my weekend off. If so, I think my buddy and I will be in. Is there room for an RV? If not, I have a tent but let's be honest, an RV is way more comfortable!
"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" Izaak Walton, author, The Compleat Angler 1653
Volzfan59
Pollywog

Postby Titaniumman » Mon May 14, 2018 9:40 am

Not only is there room. There's water, power, and septic.
I dream of a better tomorrow in which chickens may cross roads with no fear their motive is in question.
Titaniumman
Green and Gold Thigh

Return to General Discussion